What's new

German War Graves C&C

theraven

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Oct 16, 2012
Messages
677
Reaction score
102
Location
Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, stumbled upon this beautiful serene place whilst out at the weekend. It is the place where all the German Military that were killed in England in the First and Second World War's are all buried here. Looking for some serious C&C please.

1
DSC08488-3_-4_-2__tonemapped.jpg


2
DSC08529-3_-2__-4_tonemapped.jpg


3
DSC08489-4_-3_-2__tonemapped.jpg
 
The first shot is a very nice record shot. I would crop off a slice on the left side to even up the tree tops a little and clone out the orange object on the right.
The other two are just kind'a run-of-the-mill to me. Nothing special on those two.
 
The Orange thing is a person I think, I will remove that thank you, I tried to capture the feeling of the place as it was so quiet and strange but the weather was just pure high sun which didn't help. Thank you for your comments.
 
Contrary to Rick's opinion, for me the second is less run-of-the-mill than the first which you took with the light in your back and the clear blue sky as your "screen". While I do appreciate the symmetry of the first photo, I myself am more attracted by the backlit bush and the shadows coming towards me in the second photo. Matter of tastes?
 
Contrary to Rick's opinion, for me the second is less run-of-the-mill than the first which you took with the light in your back and the clear blue sky as your "screen". While I do appreciate the symmetry of the first photo, I myself am more attracted by the backlit bush and the shadows coming towards me in the second photo. Matter of tastes?
Possibly yes! Thank you. I did like the shade of the tree forming a parallel line up and into the tree. It seemed a nice composition. Also I've been working on shooting into the sun, shich I'm finding challenging but enjoying the results, makes you think!
 
Can you tell that I used Photomatix to blend the layers together and keep the details on the shadows? I didn't want it to look like an actual HDR, but the ideals are there.
 
Interesting place, unintersting captures of it.

It's not your fault... capturing interest in cemeteries is really really hard to do. They're very beautiful, peaceful places... but bringing that to film is beyond tough.
 
Interesting place, unintersting captures of it.

It's not your fault... capturing interest in cemeteries is really really hard to do. They're very beautiful, peaceful places... but bringing that to film is beyond tough.

Couldn't agree more, I think I might go back up there in winter when there is less colour and more cloud, try to get that desolate feeling.
 
Interesting place, unintersting captures of it.

It's not your fault... capturing interest in cemeteries is really really hard to do. They're very beautiful, peaceful places... but bringing that to film is beyond tough.

Couldn't agree more, I think I might go back up there in winter when there is less colour and more cloud, try to get that desolate feeling.
Yeah, I have access to one of the prettiest cemeterys imaginable, until you look at it through a viewfinder. Then it becomes "just another cemetery". Good luck with your winter mission. Maybe you find something unusual.
 
Interesting place, unintersting captures of it.

It's not your fault... capturing interest in cemeteries is really really hard to do. They're very beautiful, peaceful places... but bringing that to film is beyond tough.

Couldn't agree more, I think I might go back up there in winter when there is less colour and more cloud, try to get that desolate feeling.
Yeah, I have access to one of the prettiest cemeterys imaginable, until you look at it through a viewfinder. Then it becomes "just another cemetery". Good luck with your winter mission. Maybe you find something unusual.

Thank you , I hate it when I can see something and feel it, but can't bring it across in a shot!
 
Last edited:
Couldn't agree more, I think I might go back up there in winter when there is less colour and more cloud, try to get that desolate feeling.
Yeah, I have access to one of the prettiest cemeterys imaginable, until you look at it through a viewfinder. Then it becomes "just another cemetery". Good luck with your winter mission. Maybe you find something unusual.

Thank you , I hate it when I can see something and feel it, but can't bring it across in a shot!


Welcome to the wonderful world of photography. :)
 
@Raven "Thank you , I hate it when I can see something and feel it, but can't bring it across in a shot!"

I'm afraid you'll have to go to the back of the line with this problem. Many times the eye see's things that just doesn't fit on a sensor or sheet of film.
 
#2: is your image...where i see the artist in you; I really like #1 and #2

I miss something in #3; if it had a tiny plant with a flower towards the end of the shadow, that would have been a great story of "Life"

Regards :D
 
#2: is your image...where i see the artist in you; I really like #1 and #2

I miss something in #3; if it had a tiny plant with a flower towards the end of the shadow, that would have been a great story of "Life"

Regards :D

thank you very much, #2 is also my favorite!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom