Getting a camera for my birthday!!

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking about asking for a camera for my birthday, but I need suggestions from you guys!

I'm looking for a camera probably around the 100-300 dollar range, but I want one of those semi-professional ones where you can see the focus on the object and the background blurred away (sorry don't know the terminology haha).

I'm looking for one where I can upload it to the computer pretty easily, don't want just film ...

Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks! This is my first camera technically since I've been using my phone xD

You can look for a used DSLR maybe a Canon EOS XS and a Canon 50mm 1.8.

I'm thinking about asking for a camera for my birthday, but I need suggestions from you guys!

I'm looking for a camera probably around the 100-300 dollar range, but I want one of those semi-professional ones where you can see the focus on the object and the background blurred away (sorry don't know the terminology haha).

I'm looking for one where I can upload it to the computer pretty easily, don't want just film ...

Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks! This is my first camera technically since I've been using my phone xD
It's going to be one or the other.

Correction, in your price range it is going to be one or the other. I recommend digital for you price range and I would recommend the a high end Point and Shoot for that price.

To see the background blurred in the viewfinder before you release the shutter, will require the camera have a Depth-Of-Field preview button.

I'm not aware of any new or used cameras in your price range having that feature.

Correction, in your price range it is going to be one or the other. I recommend digital for you price range and I would recommend the a high end Point and Shoot for that price.

I'm in the same situation as you right know, and I know that there are 2 that i'm aware of that would fit this criteria.

1. Kodak EasyShare 915 which is in about the $130 range. I had just ordered and received this one this past week, but unfortunately the particular one I got was defective as the zoom didn't work. The camera isn't bad at all. It was just that specific one I happened to receive. Which may be a good thing cause i'm looking at another camera that I seem to prefer a little more (which is listed next)

2. Canon PowerShot SX120IS And is in the $179 - $199 range. This one seems to be a really good one (As if the "Canon" doesn't tell you that already). All the pictures ive seen online from it look just great (and im talking about pure amateur photos even). I really think this one is as close to a DSLR camera as you can get in nearly all aspects despite the fact that its a Point & Shoot camera. This is the one I plan on getting as soon as I can afford the extra money. :thumbup:

Is it much of a difference to go from the 100-200 to the 200-300 range?

Last edited:
To see the background blurred in the viewfinder before you release the shutter, will require the camera have a Depth-Of-Field preview button.

I'm not aware of any new or used cameras in your price range having that feature.
Well he could get one of those cruddy things they call film cameras, but ugh! What a pain.

It'd be JUST film.

OP wants a bokeh camera. I think the Lomography Society might have a few. :sexywink:

is

Canon Powershot SX20

a good buy?

is

Canon Powershot SX20

a good buy?

Not if you want to be somewhat serious about taking photos. You'll want a camera with interchangeable lenses.

Most reactions

Back