Getting a start in wedding photography

One thing to add is that most Wedding Photographers don't enjoy the competition, every new job you get is one that they lose.

Therefore, if you want to shadow an experienced wedding photographer, shadow someone in a different region. So if you're a photographer in Merced, CA, try calling photographers in San Francisco, Sacramento, Los Angeles, etc.

Something I would open with:
"Hello name, I hear your an experienced photographer in the Los Angeles area. My name is ____, I'm going to school for photography in Merced, CA, and as an aspiring photographer I would like to shadow an experienced photographer, of course in another region. I'm not asking for any monetary payment and would be willing to assist you in any manner. Does this sound like an idea you would like to entertain?"

Then there are the two situations that I am keeping tabs on... where the brides are suing the photographers. One is totally unwarranted (the man is a consumate pro of many years and has INCREDIBLE pictures), and the second one is a newbie story gone bad.

Last update, the newbie has spent $9,000 so far in lawyer fees, and its not looking good for him. I figure he will be out a good 50-60 Gs before the bride and his own lawyer are done with him.

Do you have links to those cases? Sounds like an interesting read.

That is the biggest problem with the US if something goes wrong, sue it is crazy and it has crossed the pond to the UK and it stinks

I agree for the most part... but not really with wedding photography. It really depends on if there was a contract.. what the contract laid out.. and also.. how much someone is being paid for their services.

Like.. if the newbie charged $300.. and took crappy pictures... Well.. what do you expect for that little... However if a newbie goes in with something like a D40 and a kit lens... and charges 2,000... and they get crappy pictures.. Sue the hell out of them.

As Jerry said... You can't recreate a wedding day... You can't just reshoot it.. Even if everyone got back together and dressed back up.. it still would not be the same as it was on that day.

I have tried contacting a few of the wedding photographers in the area to ask I could be of use as an assistant, but so far I have had no luck. Is there a technique.

Did you NOT read my post?? ;)

I agree for the most part... but not really with wedding photography. It really depends on if there was a contract.. what the contract laid out.. and also.. how much someone is being paid for their services.

Like.. if the newbie charged $300.. and took crappy pictures... Well.. what do you expect for that little... However if a newbie goes in with something like a D40 and a kit lens... and charges 2,000... and they get crappy pictures.. Sue the hell out of them...

The newbie charged in the $500 ballpark, the pro charged 5 digits. Both are getting sued for BIG bucks. Amounts charged mean very little... courts love to add punitive and emotional distress charges to people that show they've suffered. Because it is an unrepeatable event, you can sue for very high amounts, as the high losses are justifiable.

The US is filled with stories of people spending little and suing for millions... and winning. Anyone recall the case of the little old lady that spilled a $1 cup of hot coffee on her thighs and how much she won? For pete's sake, she was driving, with a cup of black coffee between her legs... UNCAPPED... and she WON!

I'm not an expert in the legal system, nor photography for that matter, but can't indemnification clauses in a contract protect a photography from situations like that?

Like.. if the newbie charged $300.. and took crappy pictures... Well.. what do you expect for that little... However if a newbie goes in with something like a D40 and a kit lens... and charges 2,000... and they get crappy pictures.. Sue the hell out of them...

The newbie charged in the $500 ballpark, the pro charged 5 digits. Both are getting sued for BIG bucks. Amounts charged mean very little... courts love to add punitive and emotional distress charges to people that show they've suffered. Because it is an unrepeatable event, you can sue for very high amounts, as the high losses are justifiable.

The US is filled with stories of people spending little and suing for millions... and winning. Anyone recall the case of the little old lady that spilled a $1 cup of hot coffee on her thighs and how much she won? For pete's sake, she was driving, with a cup of black coffee between her legs... UNCAPPED... and she WON!

Yea, I guess that is true... I guess other people who don't know anything about camera's won't know anything about the photographer taking their pictures.

Though if he showed them a portfolio.. and the pictures don't differ from the portfolio, I think the case is BS. But if there wasn't one.. then.. well.. sucks to jump into water and not know how to swim.

as for the Pro... I read where you talked about him somewhere else.. and yea.. that one is complete BS for sure.

Four Aces.. it is a nice thing to have in your contract but.. in the states in particular people are quite cut throat with their suing and there are ways around those types of things. Have your contract checked with a local lawyer who specializes in these types of things!

I agree with what has been said re: second shooting (highly recommend it!). When you are contacting the pro, there is a level of humility but also confidence. If you come in listing all of your gear etc. etc. it is cocky, if you come in saying you are just beginning and want to 'get your toes wet' you sound wimpy.

I have had several individuals contact me and it isn't because their presentation is bad or anything but I have never had need to hire them as I have a close network of photographer friends who are professionals (mostly portrait) and are happy to second shoot for their own experience. On that note, see if you can network with photographers in a more professional level :)

A lot of great advise here guys, I really appreciate it. So I started looking/ letting people know that I am interested and I actually got a couple offers. I am actually lined up to be a second photographer for three pros right now so I am very excited.

Jerry brings up a some good points. My first shoot will be this Friday and it is just an engagement session, I will be a second or third photographer (it is more of an extended introduction/interview before we get to something more hectic). I am curious if second photographers need to protected legally with some from of contract? Are they typically covered under the primary photographers contracts? Is one needed between primary and secondary photographer? Another question, what if the primary photographer does not plan on, or does not like to use contracts? Should I risk forcing the issue at the cost of a job/learning opportunity? Any thoughts?
thanks guys
Anthony

I started assisting wedding photographer while in junior high. My First and foremost responsibility was learning how to roll that film (medium format) and make sure that it isn't lost (thank G-d, never lost a roll of film). With time, learned metering, lighting, composition, camera settings, etc. Never really cared for shooting until about 8 yrs ago when was asked to shoot a bit. I grabbed the bronica, set the quantum to f8 @ 15feet, 65mm lens, rolled back on my belt and was shooting right there next to me photo-teacher, mentor and a friendPIECE)
Today, I work with few studios. I get to use their equipment, learn & further develop my own style.

Joe

Most reactions

Back