getting an umbrella tonight. Now what?

Stradawhovious

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok. So I'm getting an umbrella tonight .....white with removable black backing....... and have a introductory idea of what to do with it. For those of you who have done portrait work with one umbrella, what do you wish you knew when you started that you know now? I will be using the umbrella with a NIKON SB_600

I'm looking forward to answers also, I've had my umbrella for a bit, but haven't really gone out to testing it lol.

getting an umbrella tonight. Now what?
Hope for rain :scratch: :lol:

The idea of an umbrella is to soften the light. To that end, getting the light closer to the subject will help to make it softer, so get the umbrella as close to the subject as possible, without getting into the frame.

When shooting portraits, start with the light at 45 degrees to the side and slightly higher than your subject's face. Watch for catch lights in their eyes to be at either 10:00 or 2:00.

Thanks for the tip, Big Mike. I just bought myself an umbrella too and I'm anxious and nervosu to use it in my first photoshoot this weekend. Gahhhh, so much to learn!

All right. So I picked up my umbrella, a stand and a radio trigger and I was off.

Shooting umbrella alone reflected, umbrella alone shoot through, umbrella with reflector, close to the subject, far away from the subject etc. Etc. Etc.

I'm having a lot of fun just playing with it, and now I'm starting to understand why there really isn't any hard fast rules per-se in regards to lighting setups. The variables are endless!

I'm also starting to see that the higher quality of light, and different quality of light really make the iq a whole lot better. Man....... what did j ever do without this stuff?
Well...... time to buy another speedlight and umbrella! :lol:

Last edited:
Don't point the center of the umbrella at your subject. Feather it so that your subject it lit, but not by the harsher light from the center. Feathering it towards the camera will still light the front and feather towards the background will offer some spill to help with separation.

When using it outdoors (or around strong fans) be sure to weigh down the stand so that it doesn't blow over. The ribs on umbrellas don't do well in falls.

Actually, it's a pretty good idea to weigh them down anyway - even in studio work - they can get knocked over pretty easily.

Don't point the center of the umbrella at your subject. Feather it so that your subject it lit, but not by the harsher light from the center. Feathering it towards the camera will still light the front and feather towards the background will offer some spill to help with separation.

Good to know. I'd bet this would make it easier using a refoector as well, eh? Thanks for the tip, your input is always appreciated.

When using it outdoors (or around strong fans) be sure to weigh down the stand so that it doesn't blow over. The ribs on umbrellas don't do well in falls.

Actually, it's a pretty good idea to weigh them down anyway - even in studio work - they can get knocked over pretty easily.

Thanks for the tip Buckster. I have to say that you were one of the main influences in me getting interested in off camera flash. Your work posted in the Strobist thread on the forum is intimidating and inspiring all at the same time. Amazing stuff.

Kudos to you sir.

I don't want to highjack the thread, but what do ppl think is better... umbrella or softbox?

Thanks for the tip Buckster. I have to say that you were one of the main influences in me getting interested in off camera flash. Your work posted in the Strobist thread on the forum is intimidating and inspiring all at the same time. Amazing stuff.

Kudos to you sir.
Always glad to help if I can, and thanks for the kind words. :D

now take pictures:smileys:

I have been. Flashed the wife and dog a couple hundred times last night........ they're a little irritated. :lol:

..I can understand why! :lmao:

Riiiiiiiiiiight. I mean, come on? Who wouldn't want a photo session with me? I'm a drop dead sexy guy, with madd photographist skills!

Well that's half true.......

I am dead sexy......

Well........ ok, maybe not. Yeah, I can see how they would be irritated too.

Last edited:
Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. If you're not aware of the site yet, be sure to also check out: Strobist

Most reactions

New Topics

Back