Getting Around Physical Texture on Photographs When Scanning?

NellsPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nells250.homestead.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK kids, I have another question that walks that fine line between digital and film...

Yesterday I spent time attempting to get a decent scan of a 100-or-so year old photograph, and no matter how I changed settings and messed with Paint Shop Pro filters/effects/adjustments, I just couldn't get a sharp scan.

Finally I looked closely at the photo itself and realized part of my problem was light from the scanner hitting the semi-flat surface texture of the photo itself.

Is there a way to prevent this "reflection"?

Any tips would be appreciated.

(see attached scan)

Attachments

• effect.jpg
    effect.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 253
Only way around that is to shoot with a camera that has polarizing filter on the lens as well as a polarizing filters on the lights. You can dial out any reflections with the filter, this also works well for "silvered" prints, prints that have a very shinny glow to them.

Darn it... I had a feeling other equipment would be required... was hoping maybe, JUST MAYBE, there was a "sheet filter" or something like that in existence. I don't think my humble camera is up to such a project.

Darn it... I had a feeling other equipment would be required... was hoping maybe, JUST MAYBE, there was a "sheet filter" or something like that in existence. I don't think my humble camera is up to such a project.

Wish there was an easier way but so far nobody has come with a way to do it with a scanner. At the lab I work at we have all the stuff to do it, does make a few people mad because we charge twice as much to shoot in the studio than do a flatbed scan.

Well, those folks SHOULD understand that you need to put in more effort! But then again, the fact they have to come to you in the first place means they don't have the skills/equipment themselves. Do you do photo restoration for work?

Attached find 3 versions of the "issue".

#1 = scanned as usual only in its clear protective sleeve.
#2 = the same section taken with my camera.
#3 = is #2 edited a little.
effectCLEAR.jpg
effectPHOTO.jpg
effectPHOTOedited.jpg

Prefer #2. I like Nik Silver Efex Pro 2, especially for older film images.

There is such a thing as dulling spray for reducing reflections. I have no experience using it for scanning prints so I don't guarantee it won't damage a 100 year old print. But, it is made to wipe off after use.

Or, you might try getting the print scanned at a professional lab

Is there any reason why you couldn't just put a polarizing film over the scanner bed and rest the photo on top?

Is there any reason why you couldn't just put a polarizing film over the scanner bed and rest the photo on top?

Won't work. I've tried just about everything you can think of in my 35 years working in photo labs........
The only way to get rid of reflections, silvering etc. is to shoot it with 2 polarized studio lights each at a 45 degree angle and use a circular polarizer on the lens (camera can be film or digital).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back