Getting into the photography business, need help.

spuddybuddy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well me and my wife have been tinking about starting a photography business and need some advice on equipment.

1. What type of DSLR camera for portraits and family photos.
2. What type of lighting and lenses

My wife worked for a photography studio for 3 years so she knows alot about it, but that was 5 years ago so she needs to get reaquainted. Any other advice like where to find the best prices would be appreciated.

Wow. Why don't you try reading some of the forums friend. That would be a good start. :)

Yeah I know theres alot of info on here I just dont have alot of time so its easier for me.:D

Yeah I know theres alot of info on here I just dont have alot of time so its easier for me.:D

Open the B & H catalog and buy 1 of everything. That should pretty much cover it and more.

Yeh.. I know its a lot of stuff but it is easier and I don't have a lot of time.

Now I don't exactly know what your plan is here. Saying you "Want to start a photography business" is a statement very open to interpretation. It could mean you want to dive in and open a full brick-and-mortar studio with shooting room reception area and the like. In that case if you need to ask here what kind of camera you should buy you need to slow waaaaaaaaaaay down and do wht was already said and do a little research and at least figure out what kind of format you want to shoot in. If you mean you are going to buy a camera and some lights you still need to do a little reading if you need to know what to buy but you have a better chance to learn before you sink in too much money to recoup if you decide to fold. So if you want a little help and less sarcasm why don't you step on the brakes a little read alot introduce yourself to all of us tell us what you know, what you have and, what you intend on doing with it. You will see if you stick around for a while most peolple who come on here and say " I want to open a business to make lots of money shooting pictures" will pretty much get the same kind of response. I really don't know what it is mabye we have a mean streak or mabye the guys that have paid there dues slogging it out working at the side of other people and shooting for themselves for years are a little sensitive about others who seem to want to dive in to a full scale business before they even know what end of the camera they don't even have yet to look into. Now I am not saying you are like that but I don't know anything about you so how about starting with an intro?.

Well you sure are lucky that you have a bunch of people who are willing to take their time to spoon-feed you stuff you don't have time to do yourself.

Perhaps we could start your business for you?
Or even just take pictures of your clients and send you the money?

How far do you want us to go for you?

Is he for real??? By what I gather, may be best to open a studio and hire a photographer to do the work. That way you won't have to deal with all the "technical" photo stuff, just the business end. Seriously, if you are going to start a business, you best know what you are going to get into. That's the best advice I can give you. Research, research, research. Better make time for it. :mrgreen:

Why do I get the impression spuddybuddy was just in to set you all up?

another post that makes me just read this forum and hardly speak.

if someone objects to a post why dont they just ignore it?

Thats one route but I think like was said in earlier posts people who are really into photography and have been working hard for years learning techniques and information are insulted by the idea a person who worked in a studio for 3 years 5 years ago wants to open a studio.

Does this person have any experience with actual photography or were they just employed by the studio in some different facet?

You get so many people on this forum saying I want to start selling photos, I have a point and shoot and have been taking photos for a couple month... Its aggrevating seeing people think just because they own a camrra they can start charging.

I have an idea, I cook dinner a couple nights a week for my girlfriend and roomate maybe I will open a restaurant, I have a little experience in the field but not much I think I can open a kick ass place with 5 star cusine.

sorry disagree.

people only buy what they want to buy if the photo is rubbish no one will buy it.

why knock someone for having the get up and go to do something if the 'pros' are so good they have nothing to fear

sorry disagree.

people only buy what they want to buy if the photo is rubbish no one will buy it.

why knock someone for having the get up and go to do something if the 'pros' are so good they have nothing to fear

I dont think competition and the OPs idea of starting a business are the problem. I think its the way they are trying to achieve said goal that rubs people the wrong way. You dont post on a forum, " Hey, I would like a college degree in 4 years, can you do all my research for me as I dont have enough time?" its the same concept.

As far as the OPs questions, take the time and do some research, if you take the time and do it right, you will save even more time in the long run and have a better outcome with your business.

another post that makes me just read this forum and hardly speak.

if someone objects to a post why dont they just ignore it?

Funny since you join date is just a month or so ago.... me.. I've been on this forum since 2003... and until recently, has always felt like a small quiet community of photographers who love to share.

Contrary to what you say, the TPF has been a wonderful place to hang on since I've joined several years ago. The quality of the Thread starters have been sincere and well written matched by quality, detailed, instructive, responses.

There are a few of us, who have been around for a while, that have just recently noticed the crap being posted on the TPF. Usually by members who just recenly joined within the last few months. Its pretty obvious that they have every intention of "taking" and not really contributing to our fine community.

So essence... it starting to feel like a bunch of party crashers joining... you are more than welcome to do much more than just hardly speak.

I'll say it again just like in another thread.

If your time is valuable and limited, the least you can do is expect everyone else's to be just as valuable.

Most reactions

Back