What's new

Getting it right with my nikon d5100.

Dextersmummy

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 14, 2013
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hi, I am a beginner with a Nikon d5100 an a 18-55 mm lens. I want to make sure I am letting my camera reach its potential but I am learning so wanted advice. I mostly photograph my dogs, son and landscapes when am out and about and so far have just been using *auto* setting to take these, its on auto flash to, I also have the lens on auto and the vibrate function is on. (I think thats what that is).
I was wondering whats the best settings for me? should I have it on auto as I have been or is it better to switch between scenes and child etc? Dexter never sits still so may need sports for him!!
Thank you and all advice most welcome! x x Here are some of the dogs, sadly in the outside shot my other half cut off alfies feet!
 

Attachments

  • $alf.webp
    $alf.webp
    37.3 KB · Views: 112
  • $DSC_0081.webp
    $DSC_0081.webp
    29.5 KB · Views: 115
  • $DSC_0087.webp
    $DSC_0087.webp
    86.6 KB · Views: 124
  • $DSC_0088.webp
    $DSC_0088.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 114
  • $DSC_0090.webp
    $DSC_0090.webp
    37.6 KB · Views: 115
Firstly, you have a great camera and it should last you well through your photography learning curve. I would suggest that you search the internet, on the millions of photography sites that are available, and read up on the concept of the "exposure triangle", that being the interaction and effect of the three prime components of shutter speed, aperture and ISO on exposure. After all, every image has a specific exposure that is either automatically or manually set on a camera at the time an image is captured. Then go out and practice, practice and practice some more. As you better understand the implications of each of these components of exposure, and adjust your settings according to your desires, so your images will get better and better.

Read lots, practice more, and above all, have fun while learning and producing great images....
 
See how much better the shots with flash look? You can set the flash to operate in "fill" mode, but I think you will have to select a mode other than "auto".

The outdoor one has another flaw, not to discourage hubby from taking photos, but he should get the camera down to where the dog is, and the framing to include the feet will follow in time.

You can use the preset "modes" that Nikon has programmed in, but I haven't notice much difference between modes anyway. Try them all to see which you like best. These "scene modes" will affect the JPEG file that comes out of the camera, but eventually you may wish to shoot in NEF + JPEG or just NEF alone when you acquire editing software.

For now, you are learning the camera and just managing files, and hopefully learning about light and composition. Be sure to let your husband have a turn occasionally.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom