Getting new DSLR soon..

Rich-D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So for my birthday I am asking for a Nikon D60, and so I have been looking around the internet for some good deals on the camera itself and a lens. Now, the retail price for the camera + lens is around 550$. However, I found a site selling the body for 200$. This leaves me 350$ for a lens. After more searching I came across the Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Autofocus Lens. This lens looks pretty good, and after reading a review or two on it it seems like it's good for the kind of photography I like to do (cityscape/landscape). The reason I posted this topic is because I was wondering if this lens is compatable with the D60, or even the D40? If not, is there a good lens 350$ or under that has autofocus capabilities? Or should I be looking at a different camera and lens?

My budget is 550$ + shipping. There is absolutely NO room for squeezing in an extra 20$ or so. I appreciate all help that is posted! :)

So for my birthday I am asking for a Nikon D60, and so I have been looking around the internet for some good deals on the camera itself and a lens. Now, the retail price for the camera + lens is around 550$. However, I found a site selling the body for 200$. This leaves me 350$ for a lens. After more searching I came across the Nikon 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX Nikkor Autofocus Lens. This lens looks pretty good, and after reading a review or two on it it seems like it's good for the kind of photography I like to do (cityscape/landscape). The reason I posted this topic is because I was wondering if this lens is compatable with the D60, or even the D40? If not, is there a good lens 350$ or under that has autofocus capabilities? Or should I be looking at a different camera and lens?

My budget is 550$ + shipping. There is absolutely NO room for squeezing in an extra 20$ or so. I appreciate all help that is posted! :)

You left out an important factor, how much did you find the Nikon 18-105mm lens for?

I just purchased the D60 two weeks ago, and am brand new to the DSLR world. Here is my opinion: if it's an amazing deal, take it! But remember, since you are just beginning (that's what I assume), any lens is going to be a good learning tool, and a really great lens is NOT going to automatically allow you to shoot amazing shots. Practice is the key.

Without knowing much about the lens, If you can get that set up for $500 then I would say go for it!! But otherwise just get the D60 with the 18-55mm VR lens for $550...it will be plenty to start you off.

I'm sure the pro's can give you some more 'detailed' information. :D

Oh, right, I found the lens for 240$. I have no problem getting that with the camera body, but I just need to know if it's compatible.

However, like I said, if there's a better lens for that price or cheaper then feel free to point me in that direction.

Side note: I'm not really NEW to photography (been doing it for about a year now (yes, I'm still a newb)).

Edit: How's that 55-200mm lens? I found it for a good price and am just curious about its performance.

okay just curious where are you buying it from for 200 bucks online? sounds a bit too good to be true..

Oh and to answer your question...yes, that lens is 100% compatible with the D60.

Any lenses that are labeled AF-S are compatible with the D60. There are others as well.

okay just curious where are you buying it from for 200 bucks online? sounds a bit too good to be true..

The camera body and 18-105mm lens are both priced as such on Camera-Giants.

Oh and to answer your question...yes, that lens is 100% compatible with the D60.

Any lenses that are labeled AF-S are compatible with the D60. There are others as well.

Of all the research I do... I miss the most important kind.. D:

Back to Google I go.. Thanks t_t.

yeah, can't stress that enough, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". i find the best deals on amazon.com. and they provide u with new/used/whatever, and also link u to other sellers, like B&H, adorama, and cameta, all good stores.

Appreciate the help. I may just end up getting the default D60 lens package. URGHH stupid scam businesses! D:<

After thinking long and hard I've decided that I'm going to get the Nikon D40. After analyzing what type of photography I'll want to be doing (cityscape and landscape) the differences between the D60 and D40 are negligible. I read around and it seems as though the kit lens that comes with the D40 (18-55mm) is pretty good for landscape use what with it being a wide angle (I read that anything under 24mm is wide angle). That said, I may have an extra 100$ or so to spend on extras and accessories. Can anyone suggest a good, but reasonably priced, tripod?

Also, I've been experimenting with panning today with my Canon Powershot S2 IS and have found that it's extremely difficult because when I snap a picture the screen goes black for a second and I can't see anything. I was wondering if it does this with all cameras? If not, does it do it with the D40? It's pretty annoying.

Also, I've been experimenting with panning today with my Canon Powershot S2 IS and have found that it's extremely difficult because when I snap a picture the screen goes black for a second and I can't see anything. I was wondering if it does this with all cameras? If not, does it do it with the D40? It's pretty annoying.

Even with a DSLR the shutter snap will black out the viewfinder. Not that it would improve panning much because you'll still make small errors which record as larger ones in the photo, even if you could see what you're shooting (camera shake, OOF). Just work on mimicking the speed of what your trying to shoot and even with a point and shoot, this can be done. You may find it easier with a DSLR since the body/lens serve more like a barrel of a gun making it easier to aim and follow.

Even with a DSLR the shutter snap will black out the viewfinder. Not that it would improve panning much because you'll still make small errors which record as larger ones in the photo, even if you could see what you're shooting (camera shake, OOF). Just work on mimicking the speed of what your trying to shoot and even with a point and shoot, this can be done. You may find it easier with a DSLR since the body/lens serve more like a barrel of a gun making it easier to aim and follow.
Actually the viewfinder is momentarily blocked while the mirror is raised out of the way so the light can get to the shutter and image sensor. Down there in my siggy 9Basics of Photography) you'll find an illustration of a camera and a link to a stop motion video of the operating sequence shot without a lens in place.

It is very difficult to get a good tripod for less than $200. Those of us that have been around awhile can recount stories of people buying $80 tripods and breaking 3 a year. 3x80 is $240.00 and they still don't have a good $200 tripod.

B&H has this special running right now and the tripod includes a built-in pan/tilt head. You can see some of the different ways the tripod can be configured at Giottos.com

Last edited:
Thank you both, I appreciate all the help. :)

I guess I'll have to wait out on the 200$ tripod..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back