Ghost Town General Store

Did you shoot this on film or is the grain added in post?
I shot it with a DSLR and the grain is indeed added :)

I find it absolutely fascinating that you can find all of these places. I search and search and all Ive ever found is roughly 4 places. Fascinating, awe-inspiring, historically mysterious places. Wonderful photography experiences. I guess that's what I get for living close to a city..
Thanks for the kind words, Mark. I live in the city too, and drive long hours on the weekend to find abandoned rural places like this. This one in particular was a 3-day trip – the exception, not the rule!

Terrific shot, but close-ups, man, close-ups!!
Haha! I know what you mean. I'm just going through a landscape kind of period so I don't have many recent close-ups of anything.

Gorgeous shot, what equipment was used for this?
Nikon D300 with Tokina 11-16.

Thanks everybody for the nice comments!

another user of the Tokina lens... for the money, one of the best lenses out there. I freaking love mine.

Fantastic work, well done.

I don't get into Saskatchewan very often, but I do remember that there seems to be a lot more of this type of thing (old abandoned buildings) than here in Alberta.
Even in Alberta, I'm amazed at how many of them there are. I guess when you have all this open space, there is no need to knock anything down.

Excellent as always.

I love the cold, isolated look of the building. Was the sun directly over the building behind the clouds? The contrast is great too. Was a filter used to help bring out the clouds?

really a great photo

That is a kickass shot. Very sweet.

As usual Fredrico, it's a beauty. Funny though, the title brings me back to days of distant past. Can't seem to find it on youtube, but the artist is Les Dudek and the song is Ghost Town Parade. FYI.
I can't find it either, but now I'm listening to some Les Dudek (didn't know this artist) and it sounds very cool :thumbup:

Beautiful contrast in the building. Almost like an HDR infrared photo.
Definitely not something I was going for :lol:

another user of the Tokina lens... for the money, one of the best lenses out there. I freaking love mine.
I agree. It's a DX lens, but I'm now using it on a full-frame camera and it still rocks (not as hard, though – the edges are kinda soft on FF).

I don't get into Saskatchewan very often, but I do remember that there seems to be a lot more of this type of thing (old abandoned buildings) than here in Alberta.
Even in Alberta, I'm amazed at how many of them there are. I guess when you have all this open space, there is no need to knock anything down.
I suppose there's plenty of abandoned buildings on the countryside all over Canada. Cities (and even also some towns) usually have regulations against "unsightly" structures so you have to drive a bit to find stuff like this. Manitoba is full of abandoned houses and barns, but I agree about Saskatchewan – they seem to have even more.

Was the sun directly over the building behind the clouds? The contrast is great too. Was a filter used to help bring out the clouds?
No, the sun was behind the building – this was sometime around sunset. No filter was used (I didn't have any back then :)).

Thanks everybody for the kind words!!

I love that photo, I would love to find a place like that to shoot

I agree this is an excellent shot, and what I feel makes it is the dramatic look of the clouds.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back