What's new

Gift for photographer - what would you like to get if you could get anything?

Ahh, there's one more important thing. She likes experimenting with pretty much everything. HDR, slow motion photography, uv photography, long exposure, macro, panoramas and everything like that (I can't name more experimental things because I don't know them but the list is very very long). I'm sure that everything that is not common would be good for her.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions! :D I really appreaciate and like them!

@analog.universe
She uses other lenses ones too so I'm not sure if it's good idea to buy something like that. Anyway, thank you for that suggestion! :)
 
A Filter is generally a good idea, maybe give him a novelty filter (IR, or a filter adapter IE: Fisheye, it'd be fun)...lens cleaner and a microfiber cloth is also nice. But that's what I think...
Or maybe a focus stacking software so she can try it for her macro...
 
@Overread
I asked her several times already and she always tells me "I don't know" or "You don't have to buy me anything". But, yes, I know that she's saving for many things including uv filter.

@SunnyHours
Can you tell me what is IR or IE? I don't know these shortcuts.
 
@Overread
I asked her several times already and she always tells me "I don't know" or "You don't have to buy me anything". But, yes, I know that she's saving for many things including uv filter.

You can always approach things the enforcement way - take her out to the photography shops or (if she prefers as many do shop online today) chain her to the computer seat till she makes a choice ;P

You can make an outing or an evening of it as well - a meal at home or out - a bit of wine etc.... just to make it that something a little more than just the handover of cold hard cash for products.
 
@SunnyHours
Can you tell me what is IR or IE? I don't know these shortcuts.
IR stands for "Infrared" and IE is "in example". The IR filter might be fun for her if she's the type to experiment...it makes very different photos to say the least hehe. Just do a search on google for IR photos...
 
honestly I second the vote for the nifty fifty lens. (a canon 50mm 1.8). They are right within your budget, an it's a lens that EVERY photographer should have in their bag. They are super sharp, fast for low light, and best of all, cheap!
 
If she already has a camera and a few things to go with it – one thing a photographer needs most of all is time and place to shoot – if there is a nice place for shooting or an upcoming event you could get tickets or a pass (state/Gov park) or even one of the photo workshops in your area.
 
Does she have a tripod ? how about a remote shutter release, a sensor cleaning kit, Cokin filter kit,
 
I bought one of these camera straps for myself a while back because the generic Canon strap that came with one of my new cameras was so uncomfortable and hanging it around my neck during long weddings and events got painful. I love the one I got. It's super comfortable and I think it would make a nice, inexpensive gift!

Amazon.com: Capturing Couture: Electronics
 
I would appreciate a day with a pro for advice,instruction, to see how it is done-- to develop a more creative eye, to use my equiptment to its maximum capability--not limited by by my preconceptions etc.
 
honestly I second the vote for the nifty fifty lens. (a canon 50mm 1.8). They are right within your budget, an it's a lens that EVERY photographer should have in their bag. They are super sharp, fast for low light, and best of all, cheap!

+1 to this. If she does not already have one this is a must in her bag!
 
I could be lucky enough to recieve anything as a gift it would have to be an 8 x 10 inch field camera, ready to go, with a half dozen lenses and boards.:drool:
The one gift I did end up getting for myself was the series of books by Ansel Adams titled "The Camera", "The Negative", and "The Print". These books are a dry read but the amount of knowledge that one can get out of those 3 books makes it worth it. I treasure these books and go back to them often.
 
Here is are some things i could think of... some listed already
a ND(neutral density) filter
a polarized filter
Tripod
The nifty 50
a bag maybe (but that is something people can be particular about)

My birthday is coming up and what im asking for (cause everyone i know is broke) is a $H|T load of AA batteries and 2 10 cell chargers with independent charge circuits.
But that is cause i have a flash and a grip that i always need them lol

but back to helping you...
The filters can give you some cool pictures... but the 50mm Is like the end all be all of primes... maybe an 85mm on a full frame (the camera you listed is not so i would go with the 50)
 
Here are my gift ideas:
  • Year Subscription to Flickr Pro: $24.95
  • Year Subscription to Sugar Sync: 30gb for $50
  • Photoshop Elements $70
  • Gift Certificate for Prints
  • Any bag Camera Bag (perfect for us women who already have a million bags & purses)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom