Gift for photographer - what would you like to get if you could get anything?

looimaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My friend's birthday is coming and I'd like to give her some gift. Photography is something she loves so I thought that this year I can buy her something interesting. The problem is I have no idea what could that be. I can't remember what camera she owns but I guess it's Canon 450D with standard lens. Recently we talked about some photography related stuff like uv filters to make photos like this one: http://www.fullyillustrated.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Fully-Illustrated-bmw-z4-e89.jpg

You are photographers so it would be great if you could tell me where to get that uv filter (and actually what is it?) or what else would you like to get for birthday if you could get anything (but please mind the price! I don't want it to be expensive because I can't afford that) :) Thank you!

Honestly, every photo-related gift I would want would be incredibly out of any normal person's price range. However, if you're strapped for cash this is a pretty great gift.. (I'm wishing I had one, myself!) The Camera Lens Mug

whaaaats the budjet.

A UV filter is simply a piece of glass that screws over the front of the lens. It can reduce some haze caused by UV rays on bright days, but is more often used just to protect the lens from damage. You have to know what filter size her lens takes, they range anywhere from 45mm to 82mm, and if you get the wrong size it will not fit.

You said not expensive. Can you give us a specific price you want to stay below? Some people would say that a $1,000 lens isn't expensive, and some would call a $50 camera bag expensive.

Well, let's say I don't want to cross $100-$150 but if there's something cool that's a little bit above that limit then that's fine too :) Also, please keep in mind that it's birthday gift. It doesn't have to be expensive at all. $10 gift can be great too! I'm also considering creating something myself rather than buying anything.

@Destin
It's Canon 450D with standard kit lens.

Honestly, every photo-related gift I would want would be incredibly out of any normal person's price range. However, if you're strapped for cash this is a pretty great gift.. (I'm wishing I had one, myself!) The Camera Lens Mug

tumblr_le05ut8nKq1qehfxwo1_1280.jpg

U JELLY?

okay, I'll be serious now. Maybe a flash like a yongnuo or vivitar and a book about using flash or general lighting, it really is important to learn if she is serious about learning. I would recommend "Light: Science and Magic" or "On- Camera Flash Techniques for Digital Wedding and Portrait Photographers"- sorry but I can't remember the authors off the top of my head. Books are great and you can never get enough of them.

Remove your clothes and model for her:lmao:

Seriously 150 can go a long way.

I would buy her a lightweight tripod, you can get a good one for around 80 bucks and a lowerpro 102 sling bag. If she doesnt have one of course.
Its always nice to have a lightweigh tripod and a smaller bag you can bring for a walk, vacation or anywhere else.

Personally I never buy anyone a gift for their area of interest unless they drop a lot of hints at specific product names that they want. Otherwise its simply too hard to second guess what items a person really wants. You might spend the whole budget on a tripod - when she already has her eyes on another. The result is that you end up giving a gift that is accepted warmly, but which has no use for that person (so it ends up in a cupboard or being sold on a week later).

If you don't know specificaly what she wants and you're spending more than a light sum of money on a trinket gift then I'd say you've 2 options:

1) Gift card for a leading photography retailer. This lets you give the gift better than money since it has to be spent on something for her photography - its better than hard cash since they can't let it be spent on regular living.

2) Ask her (yeah really!). Maybe she'll mention something specific or maybe she'll say ooh I've been saving for XYZ why not put the money toward it and let her get something she really does want.

All other approaches are only going to be what people here would like to get for the price ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back