Girl w/ Guitar - New Studio Shoot

DaveAllen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.daveallenphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's a shot we did in the home studio recently. The model is my wife, and since it was close to Valentines Day we went with the hot pink bg...

l_jen_rock.jpg

Well, with her ring finger pressed along the strings like that her index finger and middle finger aren't adding to the chord. :lol:

I like the shot and pose, colors and lighting are nice as well.

It's a nice picture but it doesn't do much for me.

I am trying hard to figure out why and I think it has to due with the nature of the photo more than any particular element. All I see is a woman with a guitar. There's no real connection between the guitar and her, she's not really playing it, and there is no emotional connection between the viewer and her. Especially without context of being in a natural environment it seems like a stock photo to me, for better or worse. It is a nice one, though.

Well, with her ring finger pressed along the strings like that her index finger and middle finger aren't adding to the chord. :lol:

She is playing a Bm7 chord and she is going to pull off to the 5th fret using a double stop. ;):lol:
Maybe if she had a bottle slide on that finger, it would look more believable. :thumbup:

It's a nice picture but it doesn't do much for me.

I am trying hard to figure out why and I think it has to due with the nature of the photo more than any particular element. All I see is a woman with a guitar. There's no real connection between the guitar and her, she's not really playing it, and there is no emotional connection between the viewer and her. Especially without context of being in a natural environment it seems like a stock photo to me, for better or worse. It is a nice one, though.

It is indeed just a quickie we shot for microstock ;-)

Next time I'll have to pay more attention to where her fingers are, get her actually playing some chords or something...

This was just a fun shoot we did for V-Day, so we didn't put a lot of effort into it ;-)

I gotcha. ;)

I'm working on giving words to what I see in photos so sorry if I was quick to jump on you.

I gotcha. ;)

I'm working on giving words to what I see in photos so sorry if I was quick to jump on you.

Always interested in constructive criticism, no need for an apology at all ;-)

I make a living as a landscape photographer, so I don't shoot people too often. We occasionally shoot some microstock stuff for fun, and mostly with my wife or a friend doing the modeling. I'm thinking of shooting people more in the future, but it is a lot different than what I normally do...

Most reactions

Back