Girls and Guns

Nwcid

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.jbnokesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
***Edit*** Sorry, I posted these and then had a long commute and have been extremely busy at work. I have seen most of the posts now and I will respond to them individually as soon as I can. I did not intend to get "political", this is just a basic way of life here. I have had amazing positive feedback on these style of images whenever I share socially. ***

I got some new lighting equipment over the holidays and had not had a chance to practice with any of it.

Morgan was awesome enough to come out to the studio and help me practice. After that we did some shots for here in exchange for her time.

These are 4 of my favorite shots from the session.

Morgan-055.jpg
Morgan-085.jpg
Morgan-112.jpg
Morgan-109.jpg

Last edited:
A little more shadow detail would be welcome. #3 is the brightest and, I think, the best.

^^Agreed^^

Skin tones look a bit muddy, unless of course that was the intention, #4 maybe a gridded head on her face could bring her up?

As for the firearm content, I have no issues with guns but do have a few observations:
Photo #2, she's gonna have a hard time getting a sight picture with the scope covers in place.
Photo #3, safety selector is set to Fire on the AR, that's a no no in my book.

Looks like a killer for sure.

B hell when you do a photo #shoot#.....

On the photos....
I am not sure to ask..
guns? there are guns?

or...

Girl? There was a girl?

Seriously.
The criticism I do have is that the shirt causes the guns to meld into the photo. The Galil for sure on that point. The AR and suppressors look ok, and would work if there was a lighter background.

The sunglasses are back lit and you can see here eyes witch is a bit distracting. But the nickle plated 1911 looks good and without scratches.

A bit of lighting on the right side (observer view) might have helped pump it up a bit.

I like what I see overall and the weapons are clean without scuffing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay folks - you know if this applies to you! This thread is for the discussion of the PHOTOGRAPHS posted in the OP. Please keep your personal views regarding firearms to yourself.

A reminder, from the TPF rules on posting:

* While images containing firearms depicted for the sake of art are permitted, discussion of firearms and related politics is not. Like politics and religion, it is another “hot button” topic that can lead to inflammatory discussion. Such discussion posts will be removed by the moderating team.

I don't mind the darkness of 1, 2, and 4. I think it contributes to their "noire"quality. I know I'm outspoken on this but I've never liked images of people in sunglasses other than in fashion shots.

I know it';s a safety issue. But they would be more dramatic if she had her finger on the trigger. It would look like she's ready for business. She doesn;t have a natural stance in pictures 2 and 4. They look staged like she was handed the gun and told to look like she's firing them. Nice shots overall.

I know it';s a safety issue. But they would be more dramatic if she had her finger on the trigger. It would look like she's ready for business. She doesn;t have a natural stance in pictures 2 and 4. They look staged like she was handed the gun and told to look like she's firing them. Nice shots overall.
This! I was trying to figure out what was niggling me about this set.

Tells me she was taught correctly!
IMO from a certain standpoint I am actually relieved she has her finger on the housing.

A few thoughts

1) Lint roller on the black top - Photo 3 for certain, but it likely shows in bigger sizes on all. You might also use "noise removal - dust and scratches" as that might help take out some of the white specks (and would be more time efficient than the spot heal and clone tools). It's not a huge thing, but the overall look from the photos is of very "clean" posing rather than, say, "in the heat of the moment/action". So I think that goes better with less dust showing on her top.

2) There's a passive air to her stance and dress and face. This is neither a positive nor a negative, simply my impression of her poses and facial features, her body language. If you were going for more "girl poses with guns" in a calm manner then you've nailed it. If you were after a hint of "realism" or energy etc.... then you've missed the mark. Again I'm not saying this is right nor wrong; good nor bad, just my impression.

3) I think the last photo might have a touch too much work done on her face. She's looking a little "doll like". However that could be the size of the photo (internet can sometimes make a well done smoothing look a little too strong when the shot is resized to a much smaller web friendly size). It could also be nothing to do with work on the face in editing and could be a product of the way the light is falling on her face.

Upon closer inspection I did see the white pils and lint in her blouse...a styling detail to pay attention to,otherwise, just maybe .3 to .5 EV more in the way of fill for my taste would have been better.

A little more shadow detail would be welcome. #3 is the brightest and, I think, the best.

In #2 and #4 the faces were defiantly darker then I would have liked. In #4 I let the blue gel leak too much onto the left side of her face.

Most reactions

Back