Giving Back or Getting Experience

elsaspet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.visionsinwhite.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got turned on to this really cool thing, and I wanted to share it with you all here.
If you are a working photographer, it's a wonderful way to give back to the community. If you are working to be a working photographer, it's a wonderful way to learn, make contacts, and gain experience.

Look here: http://www.oplove.org/

Basically, you offer a sitting and a photo or disc of photos for free to a military serviceperson, or the serviceperson's family. You are welcome to use them in your portfolio with the family's permission, if you choose. You are able to sell products above and beyond the intitial commitment, if you choose.

What do you do?
A serviceperson, or their family will contact you via your listing on their website. You will shoot one of three things for the family: Mom/Dad going off to war, Kids and Mom/Dad while the spouse is off to war, or Mom/Dad returning from war.

I've done this in the past and will continue in the future (my next is this Sunday). I can't explain how truly greatful these people are that you are helping them during this rough time. I haven't seen the reaction from Bagdad, but I bet there are a few tears and smiles there too.

If you want to be involved, just fill out the ap. You must have a website for them to review. I have no involvement in this group whatsoever besides donating my time. They ask no money of you, and ask no personal questions on the application.

If you want to give back, this is a wonderful thing, much like Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. For those wanting more professional experience, this is about the coolest Time For Print project you could ever do.

Just so ya know. :)

Sweet, they definitely deserve this kind of treatment. God Bless them all

Cool. I don't have the right equipment or experience yet bbut I'll keep in in mind for if i do some day.
Also, I had come across a site the other day where they have this program. You go to the neonatal intensive care unit to take proffessional pics of the babies that can't leave to get them done. You do it for free of course. Isnt that a nice idea too. Those poor parents can at least get a decent picture of the baby to take out of the hospital while they're waiting for the baby to be allowed to.

Hi JJM,
I think you are talking about "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep" which I am also a member of.
http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/
Thank God I have not been called on to do this yet, because I think it's about the most heart breaking situation I could find myself in.....but the parents are hurting so much worse.
NILMDTS is photography of parents, with their infants who have died at or shortly after birth. The photographs are so appreciated, and heart wrenching. It's another really stunning example of how we can give back to the community.
(Because this is such a vital moment in time, photographically, I would not suggest this to non pros).

I looked at the Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep site and was just sitting here crying. Too hard for me to do...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back