Giving birth

loveebugg3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, so to start things off I'm pregnant. Well, I want pretty well photo's taken of my baby shower and of child birth. I'm not a pro at photography or anything but I have a pretty decent knowledge surrounding everything. Anyway I want a family member to photograph them. I have a Nikon D3100 with a 18-55mm VR lens. I've gotten used to just shooting with that lens as I can not afford another one at the moment. How would I go about helping my family member photograph one of the most special times in mine and my baby's life? Would it be easier to have them practice some before the events? Should I just throw it in P mode and be done with it? Any help would be appreciated.

If the moments are truly something you want to remember than higher a professional. It might seem expensive now, but 20, 30, 40 years from now the expense won't even be a memory, but the pictures will be something that you can share. If it's not that important and all you want is facebook stuff, sure, throw it in 'P' and hand it to whomever. Tell them what types of things you want, just so you have a fighting chance.

It's too bad you don't have a speedlight. If you can't swing a borrowed speedlight, rig up a reflector on the built-in flash to bounce the light off the ceiling.

Okay, you're talking about two very different events here:

1. The baby shower is going to be full of people (who will get in the way), you're likely to be seated (which will make you look heavier depending upon how far along you are). For the shower, you definitely would benefit from an experienced photographer. Someone who's really good will know how to set up poses, use aperture and manage the light so you get a ton of good candids and some lovely portraits. And I think that's what you want isn't it?

2. For the birth....assuming you're using a hospital (rather than a home birth with a midwife), it's a completely different setting. Not so many people. But a lot of things (shiny metal, glass) that will reflect like crazy. Using a popup flash in that environment is a prescription for some really ugly photos. As ironic as it may seem, I don't think it's as critical to have a really experienced photographer for the birth. I think it's more critical to have someone who is willing to do a little bit of prep, you feel comfortable with, and can manage your camera (or a DSLR, whether it's your's or another is a different matter). Unlike the shower, there will be limited spots the photographer can move around. So it's really about being clear what the doctor will allow, being clear about shot opportunities (for instance, are you comfortable if having someone shoot the baby as it emerges?), shots of you in labor, you holding/nursing the newborn....there's a longer list. But the idea if that this photographer basically has a list of shots to capture and follows the checklist. Now, a pro would do a better job at this than an amateur. But there's less flexibility in the delivery room. More than likely, the doctor (or head nurse) will say to the shooter: "You can stand here. Do NOT move out of this square."

3. I know you love your lens and don't want to buy another. But if you're going to be shooting in the delivery room, you probably want a lens that is fast (i.e.: a wide-open aperture of probably an f1.8) and shoot from f1.8-2.5 so you can avoid using a flash (and the truth is that some medical personnel won't allow you to use a flash in the delivery room--they can be seeing spots or pop a contact lens).

4. Reach out to other women who had photographers at their delivery. Look at their photos. See what you like. See what they share about it.

5. If it is going to be a family member, then practice, prep and research is essential. They need to get familiar with the camera. B/c the last thing you need when the doctor is saying "push" is to have your family member lean over and say "uh, what does this sign mean again on the screen?" So they need to get familiar with the camera. Yes, you can set it on program or auto. But here's the thing...at some points during the delivery (especially when you're holding your newborn baby or nursing) you will want someone who knows how to use aperture b/c a shot of you and your baby with everything else a white blur will be beautiful. Look at pictures you like and point 'em out to your shooter. If they aren't a veteran photographer you need to keep the list short and realistic. You're more likely to get good shots from the delivery than you are from the shower b/c when you've gone through labor no-one is expecting a great portrait of you in makeup and an impeccable looking child, they're expecting emotion and love, seeing sweat and some blood and tears and mucus is all part of the result. But at the shower, more attractive portraits are expected. Think of it as the difference between being a photojournalist (shooting the delivery) versus portraiture (the shower).

Last edited:
From the camera's point of view the delivery environment is going to be dark. Flash during delivery? I really don't think that's a good idea. At all. And the D3100 doesn't have great lower light performance. Not bad, but not great.

So you're kind of stuck.

I'd suggesting renting a higher end body with excellent low light performance and some fast glass, except that in general you're guessing about delivery dates so you'll have to rent for a longer period (and you still might miss it) which will cost more.

At least rent a fast lens for your best guess at the most likely week.

I am a professional birth photographer so obviously I agree with above posters...hire a professional! I think a friend is okay for the baby-shower. But for your actual labor/birth you want someone who knows what they are doing.

Strap a GoPro camera to your ankle. Boom, instant photographer.

Strap a GoPro camera to your ankle. Boom, instant photographer.
I'd strap it to the doctor's head like a miner's lamp.

Thank you everyone who gave advice! The more I research the more I'm finding that I may just want a professional for delivery. I'll just have whoever is willing to shoot my baby shower.

I think the most you could expect giving a relative a camera is to set it at auto and they'll probably use it like a p&s. And hopefully won't puke or pass out if they see blood or needles! (There's a reason I do what I do, not medical work! lol)

For the shower too - depends on what you want, anyone could take some snapshots and that might be fine for some fun pictures, if a friend or relative who takes pictures would enjoy it. I just wouldn't expect professional results, for that you'd need someone who knows how to shoot an event and frame shots well as things happen and get photos in whatever room/venue it's in, etc.

If a friend/relative is willing to take some pictures for you keep it fun and pressure free. (And ask if it's OK how you use the pictures they take, better probably to not assume and be clear on how you'll want to use the photos.)

Most reactions

Back