Glass, Crop Sensor or Full Frame?

Joefbs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am wondering if there are really good crop sensor lenses out there. While researching, I am finding that all the talk is about full frame, but I can't seem to get any feedback on the crop sensor lenses. Does any one have any experience with any CS lenses? Would it be worth buying one? I want something of good quality that is fast and sharp. I have a Rebel t5i. Thanks

If you already have a t5i, you'll find that decent glass on that body will give you some great results. If you're currently using the kit lens, most people pony up for the 50mm 1.8 prime. I'd suggest you invest in that before considering full-frame.

For Crop Sensor Cameras most primes do very well 50 f1.8 or f1.4 are popular along with the 85 f1.8. The Zoom lenses that get the best reviews are my Favorite the EF-S 15-85, which is a FANTASTIC walk-around lens and the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 - this is also given great reviews for walk-around and indoor shooting as well.

Which lens to start with depends on budget.

Canon has 2 lens mounts.
The EF-S lens mount will only mount on Canon EF-S (crop sensor) camera bodies.
The EF mount will fit on any Canon DSLR.

Canons best lenses are generally EF lenses that have the L designation, but not all EF lenses are high quality lenses.

A case on point is the Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II prime.
The lens has embarrassingly low build quality.
The optics are OK and delivers reasonably sharp focus when the lens is stopped down a bit.
However, because of the low build quality the low number of and shape of the lens aperture blades out of focus backgrounds have a very nervous, jarring, unpleasant circle of confusion (bokeh).
Another major issue with the lens is that it often breaks into 2 large, irreparable pieces if dropped.

Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II review: Digital Photography Review
Conclusion - Cons

• Extremely cheaply built
  • Harsh and distracting bokeh due to pentagonal aperture
  • Vignetting at wide apertures on full frame (which only disappears at F3.5)
  • Inconsistent autofocus in low light (most problematic when using large apertures)

I probably should have stated that I already have the EF 50mm 1.8 lens. I was looking to see if there was EF-S lens that was worth buying that will give me the speed and sharpness of a decent quality EF lens. Or, should I just for with EF lenses?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back