Go-To Lens

Paralyze7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone... I'm a Nikon and have been using a Tamron 17 - 50 2.8 as my go-to lens that stays with me most of the time. Depending on where I'm going I'll take either a Sigma 10-20 or a Nikon 55 - 200 VR.

Starting to think I should get a lens that has more focal length so I can combine the 17 - 200 range a bit however I LOVE the 2.8 on the Tamron and would be hesitant to give up that quality for the added focal length.

Curious what others use. IF I'd look to get a new lens I'd think to keep it under $1500 just in case this post turns into recommendations. :)

A go to is a really hard to recommend because its often quite personal and for many of us we don't have one - but we do have one that we "go to" for certain situations.

A lot thus depends really on what you like to photograph and what kinds of situation you want the lens to fit into.

For example going out with family you might well want something like a 17-200mm that can do it all even if its not outstanding; but its there to capture memories. Sure its not f2.8; sure its not as sharp but such lenses can be easy (one lens one body) to grab and use and also are not huge nor superheavy (f2.8 glass gets big and heavy fast).
But if you're typically out and about you might want a 70-200mm; but if you're more a person and portraits style then a 17-50mm etc....

So really we need to hear from you what your go-to situation is; and also what kinds of problems you find with your current lenses. Might be that by looking at what your kit does for you and what its not doing and what you'd like it to do we can put some context to the question that will narrow down the possible suggestions.

70-200 go to for IQ, 50 if my hand hurts feom the 70-200, 18-135 walk around ( i.e. Scared to lose/break the 70-200), 10-18 for landscape/ arcitecture. I thinks thats all.

50 for indoor portraits. 70 is a tad too long qq.

Do you have a DX camera?

OGs- try a shoulder strap like the Black Rapid or others - sure you still will want to hold the camera whilst its resting at your hip; but it means that you can at least relax your grip and let your shoulder take the weight - makes a BIG different to your hand at the end of the day

1st - I completely agree with Overhead that you NEED to figure out where you are falling short with the current setup.

2nd - with this info I would recommend choosing the best quality glass you can without breaking the bank, even if you have to save and not get it right now.

3rd - People need to start working out or learning how to properly carry things. 70-200f 2.8 is heavy, seems to be a recurring theme. Not so much.

I have a full frame, so I have (all Tamron) a 28-75 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8 VC. That's the best way to cover that range. Plan out what shots you'll want and when you'll want to change lenses and you'll be set.

I have lots of lenses and I have a lot more that I can use anytime and it's always a different one or ones that I need for a given shoot.
There is no go-to lens that I have ever heard of.
I guess if you use a cell phone, then there is one you always use.

My most-used lens lately has been the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8. The focal length range, on my camera, is basically equivalent to what you get from the 55-200mm lens.

I resent the idea of a "go-to lens." For each shot I want to take/make, I go to the lens that will give me what I have in mind. That is why I have more than one lens.

The lens I keep on my Canon 5DIII most of the time I'm out and about is a Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 DI VC USD (for Nikon). It's pricey but I love the image stabilization for those low light or indoor shots without a flash.

Last edited:
Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 VC, in your price and its an AMAZING lens!!!

my "go to" lens is the 22mm f/2 except when I go to my 50mm 1.8 and then I might go to my 55-250

For DX that was definitely my AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX which was on the camera most of the time.

For FX I dont have a clear go-to ... I guess the closest match to that would be my new AF 60mm f2.8 micro, as its both a normal lens, a fairly acceptable portrait lens (pretty good for full body portraiture at least) and a macro and reproduction lens.

But the lens currently mounted to the camera shifts all the time now, since I have so many lenses that I really love.

I do not have a go to lens. When shooting for myself, Often, I will choose a lens to challenge my shooting skills, which in-turn tends to add optical drama to my images. As an example, recently I shot street with a fisheye on on camera and a 200mm on another. I've shot flowers with a 500mm and football with a 28mm. I do not have a go to lens. I won't limit my vision with a go to lens.

DSCF5848-X2.jpg

Street
X-T1 w/ 8mm Fish

_DSF0720.jpg

Street
X-T1 w/ 55-200 @ 200mm

_MG_9107-L.jpg

5D w/ 50-500 @ 500mm

WG-Football-UE.jpg

Nikon F w/ Nikkor 28mm, Tri-X

Last edited:
When I'm just out and about and don't have a shooting plan my walk-around lens is a 24-85 mm f/2.8-4 that also has a 1:2 macro close-up capability.

My go-to lens changes based on what I have planned in advance to shoot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back