Godox AD1200Pro Rumours

I would agree that if I were to do it all over again I would buy battery powered strobes. The weight of the Explorer I have at 18 pounds, and the weight of my favorite power pack, around 11 lb, the weight of cables and Flash heads and stands and modifiers made me switch to a luggage cart / crate type of rig back in 2012. I think the Paul C Buff Vagabond size inverter would be much handier, and lighter in weight, and of course much smaller.

On November 16th I went to a haunted house group photoshoot and almost everyone there had battery powered lights of various types and brands. I could really see where location work would be much easier with a complete set of battery powered strobes, especially if they all had built in Wireless triggering.

I like the idea, but a 1200 w/s pack that only supports one head???? Seems like a HUGE waste of capacity.

Quoted for emphasis.

1200 Watt-seconds through one head is a lot of flash power, but for the supposedly intended use of overpowering the Sun and doing high-speed synchronization, it would be nice to have 1200 Watt-seconds of raw power.

I also own a similar Tronix unit. I can't remember if it's the XT or the 1200. As I recall I bought that thing in 2007, and it weighs 18 lb. It works great with a smaller power pack like a 400, but as you said it will power the 2403 power supplies. Just this summer I sold off my newest flash,an elinchrom ELB400,a remarkably sophisticated hi-sync unit that I bought in 2017. It was an amazing battery powered unit, and the most advantageous feature it had was that when you were charging the battery it would run off of the mains. You did not have to wait until the battery was fully charged! It was remarkably small and offered fine incremental control and had an amazing remote controller. It was extremely well-made, much higher quality than most MIC gear. I bought it used for $700 with one flash head,and a Case, and a bunch of nice accessories. It had the really high-end controller and a built-in receiver in the Pack itself.

I was looking on eBay the other day and 202 VF heads were available for around $100 used, but yes I am not surprised that brand new they are $600 today.

I used my XT enough times I actually rewired all my 102 heads with a three way toggle in place of the modelling light toggle. Now I can not only turn the modelling light off but also the fan which really saves on battery capacity. I have also had to swap the Tronix LA batteries a couple of times due to age even though they get a daily charge of a couple of hours on a timer, newer battery tech is so much simpler.

I am on my second Tronixs battery. They are around $50 at the USA store named Batteries and Bulbs. I think I am dangerously close to needing a third battery as the unit does not seem to have much life left in it. It's weird, I bought a Quantum Battery 1 in 1986 and it still works. I bought a Quantum Turbo battery in 1987, and by 1991 it was dead.

The rumour is now posted on Youtoob.

Been a long time since I checked in on this site.

I didn’t see anyone mention Hensel in this thread. They have a line of packs. They also announced a new line of battery powered lights at 1000ws.

HENSEL | Foris 1000

I have some Hensel Integra Pro Plus monolights. Great for studio work, but not very portable without a pack. I recently purchased AD600Pro and AD400Pro lights just to have that portability. They also provide HSS and TTL which I did not have with the Hensel lights.

Last edited:
Love to know where the price will land. Based on their current line, I'm guessing probably around $12-1400 USD.
Looks like I called it a little low! B&H has it for a pre-order price of $1599 US and in Canada, it's $1999 at Strobe Pro on pre-order. It's got some great specs as far as recycle time, etc, but at the end of the day, it's still a single-head system with a pretty ridiculous output and a price-tag that's putting it into Profoto D1 territory. Is this really going to sell?????

Compared to the Elinchrom ELB 1200, the price is less than half...but that single head limitation really does hurt in my opinion.

Interesting .. $1599 also at Adorama for the FlashPoint XPLOR rebranded version too.

https://www.adorama.com/fplfx1200p.html

The difference is the Profoto D1 does not include the battery pack. The Godox unit includes the battery pack.

Profoto D1 Air 500W/s Monolight
Understood, just pointing out that you can get a 1000w/s D1 for similar money to a 1200 w/s Godox; granted the D1 isnt' 'cordless' but still... it's Profoto...

Compared to the Elinchrom ELB 1200, the price is less than half...but that single head limitation really does hurt in my opinion.
That's what I can't figure out; would adding a second outlet really have been that much of a design challenge? I can see extra heads being an optional purchase, but at least put a second outlet on the power pack...

A second flash outlet would have been most welcome.

Meh, If one needs 600w/s in each head then buy two of the Godox AD600Pro TTL models, same price approx. and not be limited by a cord. I get that us "experienced" pack and head shooters are used to having up to 6 head outlets but the status quo has moved to more compact and battery powered systems.

Adding another head outlet complicates the pack design since circuitry for asymmetric or symmetric power distribution would need to be considered. Additionally, one would be forced into one particular Group setting for both heads unless more circuitry was added for selecting different groups for each head. One is getting into Broncolor complexity with this option. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back