going crazy, please help?

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok ... so you read the title. i have a canon 30d (pentaprisim viewfinder). and im in a contest where i might win a 1st:5d mkii 2nd:t1i 3rd: xsi 4th:g10 .... and im going to place in the top 3. im in 1st now to win a 5d, but if i dont im stuck with a rebel t1i or xsi. the bodys of the rebels are small and light. and they have a pentamirror viewfinder. slower fps. but newer processors with higher resolution sensors. to me the t1i is garbage(picture quality), but i do like the xsi. now would the xsi be better than my 30d? other than the pentaprisim/mag body/fps? cause i love the digital magnification in the canon live view, its great for manual focusing. but then, i was debating about the new nikon d5000. love the 11af-points that the d5000 uses(same as d90). the autofocus motor not being in the body isnt a big deal to me. but i was thinkin about hopping over to nikon and selling the camera i win and my equip i have now (if i dont win the 5d, then im sticking to canon) and getting the d5000. then again, the d5000 has pentamirror, no af motor ... but other than that .... it looks bad a$$!!!! what you think?

I don't think I would move from a 30D to a nikon D5000. Especially if a 5D was given to me. Your talking about giving up a professional camera for an amature maybe advanced amature camera.

I don't think I would move from a 30D to a nikon D5000. Especially if a 5D was given to me. Your talking about giving up a professional camera for an amature maybe advanced amature camera.

i would stick with the 5d if i winit. but if i dont ill just have two ok cameras. and i figured id sell them and get the d5000 with some good lenses

Another point to make about the D5000 is yes 11 point AF spots with same AF system as D90. The D5000 is very similar to the D90 with some notable exceptions. The screen is only .3" smaller but the D90 is 920,000 while the D5000 is 230,000 thats 4x fewer! The D90 can use the older AF lenses due to body motor drive. D5000 cannot. The D90 has commander mode for wireless flash. D5000 does not. The viewfinder on the D90 is .94X while the D5000 is .78x.

The video may be better on the D5000, I have no clue. But for the price difference the D90 to me has the advantage. A couple hundred dollars means alot to some people and the D5000 may seem a great deal. And may never need the D90's extra features. I am sure Nikon did their homework on who their target consumers are for the D5000. But I really don't think its that great of a camera. And I am a nikon user. I can say I was dissapointed when I read the specs on the D5000. But for them to make and sell the better equipment, they also need to make and sell the lower and medium equipment as well. I am sure its a great camera. But I am not interested in it. To each his own though.

As for the Ok cameras. Good lenses make all the difference. There is nothing wrong with the 30-40-50D's. Maybe their performance is lacking when you kick up the ISO. But by no means are they a problem. Can't fault you for switching to Nikon :) but I would not do it just because of the D5000. D700 now that would be a different story. ;)

Ben

Another point to make about the D5000 is yes 11 point AF spots with same AF system as D90. The D5000 is very similar to the D90 with some notable exceptions. The screen is only .3" smaller but the D90 is 920,000 while the D5000 is 230,000 thats 4x fewer! The D90 can use the older AF lenses due to body motor drive. D5000 cannot. The D90 has commander mode for wireless flash. D5000 does not. The viewfinder on the D90 is .94X while the D5000 is .78x.

The video may be better on the D5000, I have no clue. But for the price difference the D90 to me has the advantage. A couple hundred dollars means alot to some people and the D5000 may seem a great deal. And may never need the D90's extra features. I am sure Nikon did their homework on who their target consumers are for the D5000. But I really don't think its that great of a camera. And I am a nikon user. I can say I was dissapointed when I read the specs on the D5000. But for them to make and sell the better equipment, they also need to make and sell the lower and medium equipment as well. I am sure its a great camera. But I am not interested in it. To each his own though.

As for the Ok cameras. Good lenses make all the difference. There is nothing wrong with the 30-40-50D's. Maybe their performance is lacking when you kick up the ISO. But by no means are they a problem. Can't fault you for switching to Nikon :) but I would not do it just because of the D5000. D700 now that would be a different story. ;)

Ben

the resolution of the screen isnt a big deal. ill have to check out the viewfinder for myself. and the lenses i would want wouldnt be affected by the no af motor. as far as nikons higer iso "performance" is nothing to brag about from what ive seen ... but i guess ive only looked at the d40/d60/d90 ..... and if i win that 5d, wait for all those L lenses i buy! if not .... we will see!

ok ... so you read the title. i have a canon 30d (pentaprisim viewfinder). and im in a contest where i might win a 1st:5d mkii 2nd:t1i 3rd: xsi 4th:g10

I think that I do not need to read 20 threads about you and your contest, that is what I think.

ok ... so you read the title. i have a canon 30d (pentaprisim viewfinder). and im in a contest where i might win a 1st:5d mkii 2nd:t1i 3rd: xsi 4th:g10

I think that I do not need to read 20 threads about you and your contest, that is what I think.

Seriously... calm down... you haven't won or lost your contest yet, so it's irrelevant at this point. Once you get whatever it is you're going to win, then you can calmly decide what to do. You really sound like you don't know what you're doing and that you're just frenetically bouncing from camera to camera when you learn about a different feature or attribute. From what I can see the D5000 is barely even shipping, how much experience do you have with it? What expert knowledge has allowed you to cast the 500D aside as having "terrible" image quality when I've seen nothing online of the sort.

To be honest your borderline rant posts remind me of exactly the kind of advice that people get from camera salesmen that is rarely balanced and accurate. You've been on the forum for what, a week? And in that time you've pinballed between trashing Nikon and trumpeting Canon and all of sudden now you've switched... that does not speak of someone whose knowledge runs as deep as you claim.

And more importantly, no matter what, you're not going to be "stuck" with whatever camera you win, you're going to get that camera in addition to the 30D you already have. What's stopping you from just selling that camera and buying a new lens or other gear?

wow jerry, thanks for the input .. from your threads u post u seemed like a cool guy ... but w/e

Seriously... calm down... you haven't won or lost your contest yet, so it's irrelevant at this point. Once you get whatever it is you're going to win, then you can calmly decide what to do. You really sound like you don't know what you're doing and that you're just frenetically bouncing from camera to camera when you learn about a different feature or attribute. From what I can see the D5000 is barely even shipping, how much experience do you have with it? What expert knowledge has allowed you to cast the 500D aside as having "terrible" image quality when I've seen nothing online of the sort.

To be honest your borderline rant posts remind me of exactly the kind of advice that people get from camera salesmen that is rarely balanced and accurate. You've been on the forum for what, a week? And in that time you've pinballed between trashing Nikon and trumpeting Canon and all of sudden now you've switched... that does not speak of someone whose knowledge runs as deep as you claim.

And more importantly, no matter what, you're not going to be "stuck" with whatever camera you win, you're going to get that camera in addition to the 30D you already have. What's stopping you from just selling that camera and buying a new lens or other gear?

A. i apoligize if you feel my camera knowledge isnt up to par with you standards

B. i never "trashed" nikon, people take what i say the wrong way. i feel people are too biased to one brand just like i was untill joining this forum .. i matured and making an effort towards being more open in my opinions. but what i say are opinions ... and nothing but that

C. i dont trumpet canon(i love how you put that), but i think they make a great product. as do i think that sony and nikon also make a great product. maybe when reffering to a specific camera i might blow a horn or two (did i use that right? trying to keep the trumpet thing goin) about this canon or that canon. but i cant deny that nikon makes a good product and im sorry if i come off a certin way. but w/e. this is a forum.

D. i would feel that im stuck with any camera other than the 5d. cause of the prizes other than the g10 i wouldnt be satisfied unless i get first place. i work really hard and i really want to get serious with photography. if im gonna have an "ok" camera then id want something that i feel will be versitile. the d5000 has great features EVEN IF ITS A CRUMMY NIKON kidding. and of course i want better lenses

E. ill just keep to myself and try not to bother anyone, sorry :(

F. just for the F of it

Can we see the pic that is winning this contest?

It's my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that it's a sales contest for the guy's work, and not a photography contest. But, again, not really following all of these threads so I could be wrong. :lol:

Can we see the pic that is winning this contest?

It's my understanding (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that it's a sales contest for the guy's work, and not a photography contest. But, again, not really following all of these threads so I could be wrong. :lol:

correct sir, sales contest ... and i do realize this thread was pointless, i apoligize :p

How many of these threads have you started? And how about you decide when you actually win a camera?

What do you sell BTW? I'm still interested to see who gives a 5d (@ $2700) out for a sales contest prize.

How many of these threads have you started? And how about you decide when you actually win a camera?

What do you sell BTW? I'm still interested to see who gives a 5d (@ $2700) out for a sales contest prize.

i did 2, my mind was all over the place, needed feedback. well im not sure if i should say where i work? probably shouldnt have posted these. but yea, its a retailer lol ive sold over 20000 in canon, so i assume a 5d is nothing to them, on top of the fact other people are selling it also. its great cause canon makes the best point and shoots so all i have to do is show all their great features and quality and sell as much volume as possible!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back