Going to Africa, need lightweight camera equip

jj4canoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello to all and welcome all input,

We will be traveling to Africa soon which will entail much travel on light aircraft (= limited luggage) Certainly can't bring older cameras and multiple lenses so am looking for a mega zoom camera for purchase. Have researched Canon, Panasonic, Nikon, and Fujifilm megazooms and have found mixed reviews. Doubt I will be taking many HD videos, mainly interested in animal shots but those may include action shots. I also live on a lake and take lots of bird pics, both land and aquatic. Need a reliable magazoom camera that has high quality still and high zoom. If I designed a camera it would have...hot shoe, manual incredible zoom as opposed to electronic, adjustable LCD, at least 10-12 megapixels, relatively light weight, RAW as well as JPEG, great in low light, sharp image quality, but most of all dependability and predictability.

Your input is deeply welcomed and appreciated.

JJ

...and I want o be King of Persia....

it would help if you gave a vague number so that we would know what level of gear to look for for you. anyways look at the sigma 150-500 as a lens for a mega zoom. its not that great for lowlight however it has an image stabilizer which would help for lowlight. http://www.adorama.com/Als/SG150500EOS.html

If I were going and was going to take Canon, I would consider a 7D and 3 lenses (sorry, but I don't know Nikon) ...

17-40, 70-200, and 100-400 and bring along a 1.4XTC. You might cut out the 70-200 from this lineup if you really didn't want to carry 3.

If you're starting from scratch, this will be on the pricey side, but not compared to the cost of a once-in-a-lifetime adventure.

Most reactions

Back