Going to buy a new DSLR. Would love camera recommendations (Canon vs. Sony A55)

sb_sparky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

I am new to this forum and would love your advice.

I have always used Canon cameras in the past and my camera just died. I am trying to decide which type of camera to purchase. I am hoping to spend around $1000.

I have looked at the Canon T3I, T2I, 60D and Sony A55. (I have never used Sony before but I primarily take pictures of kids and like the 10FPS and autofocus during video features. I also like that it has a low light and backlight feature that takes multiple frames and creates one photo).

I love to take pictures and take about 400 pictures/week but am not a professional.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks
Allison

Last edited:
i'm just starting out, but I love my canon. between the ones you listed the 60D is what I would go with.

Well, the Sony isn't really a DSLR FYI. It has an EVF (Electronic Viewfinder). So if you really want a DSLR with an optical viewfinder, I'd look elsewhere. Like at the 60D.

I think the Sony A55 is very much a "d-slr"--it simply uses a non-moving pellicle mirror. It's actually quite small, and light, and the focusing system is surprisingly sprightly. I think the A33 might actually be the better bang-for-buck model. The Sony A33 and A55 are two small cameras that are actually kind of easy to be excited by, if you actually pick them up and handle them and understand how they work. On paper they are not nearly as attractive as they are in the hand. Compared with similarly small non-d-slr models from Canon and Nikon, I think the Sony A33 and A55 are better cameras, by a long shot.

I'm pretty sure SLRs have an optical viewfinder as a qualifying factor.

So maybe it's an SLR because it has lenses? No, that can't be. The Oly PEN, or Sony NEX don't qualify as DSLR's either.

I think the Sony A55 is very much a "d-slr"--it simply uses a non-moving pellicle mirror. It's actually quite small, and light, and the focusing system is surprisingly sprightly. I think the A33 might actually be the better bang-for-buck model. The Sony A33 and A55 are two small cameras that are actually kind of easy to be excited by, if you actually pick them up and handle them and understand how they work. On paper they are not nearly as attractive as they are in the hand. Compared with similarly small non-d-slr models from Canon and Nikon, I think the Sony A33 and A55 are better cameras, by a long shot.

true but would u not agree that there is more support and lenses available for Nikon or Canon? i would recommend a nikon d3100 or the d5100. But the a33 or a55 should suffice as well, also for what ur going to be using it for you wont really need the vast amounts of lenses available from canon or nikon, the kit lens and possibly the nifty 50 should be enough. Hell i'd even take a look at the nex3 and 5 those are some pretty awesome camera's. If ur not gonna be doing something that REQUIRES u to have a dslr i would suggest an even smaller camera like the Olympus pen or sony Nex series.

So maybe it's an SLR because it has lenses? No, that can't be. The Oly PEN, or Sony NEX don't qualify as DSLR's either.

i dont know... its kinda debatable i thought its an SLR because the final image is the same as the image on the lens that takes a picture, u still see the same image even in a EVF. The mirror is still there except it just doesnt pop up on the sony.

It is a single lens reflex because it uses 1) a single lens and the image from that 2) hits a reflex mirror which 3) does not flip up and down--just like the pellicle mirror 35mm SLR cameras made by Canon and Nikon over 25 years ago...

The Sony A33 and a55 are single lens reflex camera designs....with an EVF finder system....

I understand that the Sony cameras are not necessarily traditional DSLR cameras. As a matter of fact they market them in the category of "SLR like" cameras. I am truly a fan of Canon and have always owned Canon products, but some of the Sony technology does impress me. They are using backlit CMOS technology for great lowlight pictures. I am also impressed with the translucent mirror which allows up to 10 fps and auto focus during video mode.

As I have said previously, I am a Canon fan but for the money is Sony even worth a look?

true but would u not agree that there is more support and lenses available for Nikon or Canon?.

I wouldn't really say that at all. I've had fantastic service for my Sony DSLR's. Plus they take any of the lenses that have been made for the Minolta Maxxum series since 1985. That includes a range from 8mm to 1000+mm. Below is a smattering of lenses from just Minolta, and not including third party lenses or the new Sony offerings and the Carl Zeiss lenses.
2736703953_55e578865a.jpg

true but would u not agree that there is more support and lenses available for Nikon or Canon?.

I wouldn't really say that at all. I've had fantastic service for my Sony DSLR's. Plus they take any of the lenses that have been made for the Minolta Maxxum series since 1985. That includes a range from 8mm to 1000+mm. Below is a smattering of lenses from just Minolta, and not including third party lenses or the new Sony offerings and the Carl Zeiss lenses.
2736703953_55e578865a.jpg

are all those lenses still in production and available new? if they are then sure i wouldnt mind having a sony, the prices for their dslrs are pretty decent.

Single Lens Reflex. It's the mirror that's an integral part.

Anyways, OP - 1D MKIV

I am going to buy a camera today with about $1000 to spend. I am still not sure about what to buy. I can spend the money on the Sony kit plus another decent lens of buy the 60D and use the marginal lenses that I already have for now.

I am going to buy a camera today with about $1000 to spend. I am still not sure about what to buy. I can spend the money on the Sony kit plus another decent lens of buy the 60D and use the marginal lenses that I already have for now.

Or buy a good lens.

i'd get a d3100 or d5100 with a 1.8 lens (either 35mm or 50mm afs coming out.) I think d3100 along with sb400 and the new 50 afs 1.8 coming out will be just under 1000, thats what i would go for.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back