What lens? Tips needed :)

MariusF

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i have saved up some money and looked at some lenses.

I have looked at the Nikon 400mm f2.8 and the Nikon 300mm f2.8 and i need a bit advice for what i should choose.
I shoot mostly wildlife and sports and shoot with a D300s.
The thing is should i go for the 300mm and then save up some for a second body or should i just go for the 400mm. Anyone got any tips or the same dilemma?

Rent each and then decide which you like best.

Check out the rental prices and options all the same - these lenses have a high cost attached to them and much of the difference between them is going to come down to both affordability and personal shooting style and preference between them. Also being high cost you might find it hard to get a shop which has both in stock (or will order them in) for you to at least test out in the shop to get a feel of them.

Your looking to buy a lens that could run upward of $10,000 US Dollars. You would be stupid if you didn't try the thing before you bought it.

Your looking to buy a lens that could run upward of $10,000 US Dollars. You would be stupid if you didn't try the thing before you bought it.

Well, that's a little harsh, don't you think? Yes, I agree, trying before buying is nice, but it's not always an option. Remember, not everyone lives in, or near a major US center with easy access to all sorts of gear. Perhaps you could send yours to the OP so that he/she may evaluate it beforehand?

To answer the question, I would suggest door #3, specifically, the Nikon 200-400mm F4. Yes, it's a stop slower than the primes, but it's also about 1/2 the price of a 400mm 2.8, leaving you LOTS of change for a second body and a 1.4 or 1.7 TC. It's also, IMO, a much more versatile lens, especially for sport shooting.

not everyone lives in, or near a major US center with easy access to all sorts of gear.

You dont have to live near a major US city.

Rent online.
Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Canon, Nikon, Sony, Olympus
LensRentals.com - Rent Canon, Nikon, Olympus, or Sony Lenses

Even if you did live in a major city its probably cheeper to rent online anyway, plus you get a much better selection.

Those are just a couple. Why not contact them and ask about having them shipped internationally.

To answer the question, I would suggest door #3, specifically, the Nikon 200-400mm F4. Yes, it's a stop slower than the primes, but it's also about 1/2 the price of a 400mm 2.8, leaving you LOTS of change for a second body and a 1.4 or 1.7 TC. It's also, IMO, a much more versatile lens, especially for sport shooting.

i have looked at the 200-400mm F4 but would really like the 2.8 but i have that lens in my back head to :)

i recommend testing it too... its the price of a small used car... u would test ride the car wouldnt u before u purcahsed?

What sports do you shoot ? i have the Canon 300mmF2.8 and shoot sports and it is great but in don't shoot wildlife (probably would if i lived in Norway, toured Norway on my motorbike in 2005 rode 6000 miles in 3 weeks, i can remeber at the time thinking i wish i had my DSLR and 300F2.8 for some wildlife) i'm not sure i would be able to use a 400F2.8 as much as the 300

If I had to choose, I'd opt for the 400mm f2.8.

The 300mm f2.8 isn't really much longer then a 70-200m f2.8, but it cost a fortune and weighs as much as a small car.

If you're going to go big, might as well go all the way: 400mm f2.8 or 600m f4

I own a 600mm f5.6 manual focus lens which I absolutely love for wildlife, I'd choose it over the 300mm f2.8 af-s for that purpose, as long as I'm not trying to shoot flying birds. The 300mm with 2x teleconverter does not come close to the 600mm in contrast and sharpness. This lens is only around $1500 used, you might consider it as a companion to whatever else you choose.

What sports do you shoot ? i have the Canon 300mmF2.8 and shoot sports and it is great but in don't shoot wildlife (probably would if i lived in Norway, toured Norway on my motorbike in 2005 rode 6000 miles in 3 weeks, i can remeber at the time thinking i wish i had my DSLR and 300F2.8 for some wildlife) i'm not sure i would be able to use a 400F2.8 as much as the 300

I shoot mostly Football, or soccer for the americans, also shoot some handball but for that i got the lens i need :)
I also love to shooting birds.

My vote is for the 400 f2.8...

You also have to take into account the weight and size - Canon side I know many wildlife/bird photographers who use the 300mm f2.8 IS L inaddition to or instead of longer options like the 400mm f2.8 and 500mm f4 because the 300mm is significantly lighter to use and can still take a 2*TC to give a good quality 600mm lens, I've even known some to purchase great lenses like the 500mm f4 L and send them back simply because it was too heavy for their style and method of shooting and traveling.

This is why holding them and feeling their size and weight is really important for these high end lenses.

So i have saved up some money and looked at some lenses.

I have looked at the Nikon 400mm f2.8 and the Nikon 300mm f2.8 and i need a bit advice for what i should choose.
I shoot mostly wildlife and sports and shoot with a D300s.
The thing is should i go for the 300mm and then save up some for a second body or should i just go for the 400mm. Anyone got any tips or the same dilemma?

Part of your decision depends on what you consider wildlife. THIS is not a 300mm form of wildlife. THIS however would be a perfectly acceptable 300mm form of wildlife. All wildlife is not created equally. For the first I would recommend the 400mm f2.8 and a good 2X TC. For the second I would recommend not taking the kids along as they will scare the wildlife away wanting to pet it.

P.S. If you get the first photo I posted with the 300mm you will be known in the photographic world as dinner. :lol:

P.P.S. I own both the 300mm f2.8 and the 400mm f2.8 and shoot both sports and wildlife. They type in photo one not photo two. They are both great pieces of glass, but if I could only have one I would take the 400mm. The 300mm is not really an indoor sports lens. Bit long for most sports I shoot here. Outdoors a few steps back with the 400 works fine for capturing all the action.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back