Going to buy a new DSLR. Would love camera recommendations (Canon vs. Sony A55)

are all those lenses still in production and available new? if they are then sure i wouldnt mind having a sony, the prices for their dslrs are pretty decent.

A lot still are produced, but under the Sony name and not the Minolta name. Some are not, but are well enough made that they may by 25 years old, but preform as well as a brand new lens. Most of the lenses I keep in my bag all the time are first generation Minolta AF lenses that were made back in 1985. Great color rendition, sharp, and best of all... every single one is stabilized because Sony does it in body and not in the lenses. If it is Auto-focus, then it is stabilized. Some of the best lenses out right now are the Carl Zeiss lenses in the Sony line-up.

I am going to buy a camera today with about $1000 to spend. I am still not sure about what to buy. I can spend the money on the Sony kit plus another decent lens of buy the 60D and use the marginal lenses that I already have for now.

Did you buy the Nikon D3100 or the Sony?? I am interested to hear as that's the decision I can't make myself!! I'd love to hear your feedback on what you bought.

Probably canon users will tell you canon, and others sony but I have read very good reviews for both and bet either one will make you happy as your not a "fanboy" to either brand. 1 thing I would keep in mind is that the 10fps on the sony doesn't allow you to see the shots as you take them as the evf cant keep up, this may make it hard to follow movement. Also an optical viewfinder will more than likely be easier to use in the dark, so if you intend on a lot of night shots this may influence what you decide. I looked at the sony recently and couldnt believe the spec and its such a compact model, i also looked at the 60d (considered trading my 50d but decided no) and its also a fine camera. there is prob more bells and whistles with the sony, the canon maybe little easier to use in situations mentioned. Hope this is of a little help but i'd doubt it as I would find it hard to choose as well(prob canon)

I ended up buying the Sony and I love it! It is really lightweight, compact and easy to use! It is perfect for what I needed it for.

[/QUOTE]

Did you buy the Nikon D3100 or the Sony?? I am interested to hear as that's the decision I can't make myself!! I'd love to hear your feedback on what you bought.[/QUOTE]

sb_sparky said:
I ended up buying the Sony and I love it! It is really lightweight, compact and easy to use! It is perfect for what I needed it for.

Did you buy the Nikon D3100 or the Sony?? I am interested to hear as that's the decision I can't make myself!! I'd love to hear your feedback on what you bought.[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

I have read that the battery drains quickly; is that so? And how are you finding the EVF?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back