Going to Flagstaff, AZ - Where to Go that's Photogenic?

A

astrostu

Last year I had a 24-hr period after my conference in Flagstaff was over for fun. I ended up going on a blitzkrieg sight-seeing tour of: Walnut Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon, Slide Rock State Park, Red Rock State Park, and Sedona. In the past, I've been to Grand Canyon (twice, photos only once), Meteor Crater (twice), Painted Desert / Petrified Forest (no photos), Sunset Crater National Monument (twice), and Wupatki National Monument (once, no photos).

So, I'm trying to figure out where to go this year. I'm flying in on a Sunday early afternoon, my conference is Monday and Tuesday (though I think it'll end around noon on Tuesday), and my flight out is late Thursday. So I'll have a good half day on Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and a full day on Wednesday.

The only things that I really want to do again are walk through Walnut Canyon and do Petrified Forest / Painted Desert and get good photos this time on a decently sunny day (the one time I was there, it was a drive-through and was raining). I was also thinking Sunset Crater would be a nice place to visit again. In addition, my advisor wants me to peruse I-17 between Flagstaff and Phoenix because he says that it has some good rock formations.

So I have three questions questions, one specific and one general.

Question 1: Is Agua Fria National Monument worth visiting?

Question 2: Is there anything worthwhile on the way to Petrified Forest / Painted Desert? I know Walnut Canyon is, so I'll probably do that on Wednesday morning on the way there, but is there anything else?

Question 3: What else is good to visit in the area? Have I left anything out? Is there anything specific between Phoenix and Flagstaff that I should visit?

Agua Fria is not a typical National Monument. It is run by the BLM, and BLM national monuments are not as developed as National Park Service ones, and do not have your typically advertised entrance locations in order to keep the general public (generally) out. The area is very dense with cultural resources, but for obvious reasons the locations of the sites are not advertised. You would need a high clearance vehicle to access any part of the monument, and probably a geologic survey map in order to find your way around.

You might try Montezuma Castle/Well. Check out Jerome, and if you're into that sorta thing look up ghost towns in the area. Phoenix has some very pretty parks/hiking areas, like Cave Creek recreation area, South Mountain, Dreamy Draw, etc.

North of Flagstaff, Vermillion Cliffs area has some neat slot canyons that are fairly acccessible- look up Wire Pass. If you decide to head up that way, make sure you call the ranger district for the condition of the road/trail. The Little Colorado River gorge is in a neat area on the Navajo (I think?) reservation. They might have some information on areas you can visit, since they have their own parks and such.

While you're at it, you might want to check out the Walnut Creek Canyon, also Page (the famous Antelope Canyon or slot canyons) and Sedona.

I have done Agua Fria and indeed you need a high clearance off road vehicle (4x4). Getting there is tricky, you'll have to know which turn off you need to take. There are some beautiful parts of the Agua Fria Canyon, with some petroglyphs and plenty of Native American pottery (shards) laying around. I photographed some many years ago.

If you travel later in the year, such as November, then you must go to shoot some foliage, just NW of Flagstaff (I forgot the name of it) and near the San Francisco peak.

Also, if interested, you can drive on or along the historic Route 66, there are a few ghost towns along.

East of Flagstaff you can go visit the Meteor Crater but IMHO it's not worth the money. The Petrified Forest is not too far from there and also the city of Winslow is an easy access from I-40. If you go there, stop by "The Corner", depicted by The Eagles in their song Take It Easy.

Have fun!

Grrr. Terri accidentally deleted my account, so I wanted to post again on here to both re-subscribe and say thanks for the advice so far.

Wow, so all your old posts aren't linked to your account anymore? Or can they fix that? And, did you get my PM or should I resend it?

I forgot! Although of no great photographic importance, the Lowell Observatory is in Flagstaff. Pluto was discovered there as well as the expansion of the Universe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back