Gold umberella question

Oceandiver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I did a lingerie shoot yesterday. The model is very light skinned so I decided to try a gold umberella (I use an Alien Bee B400 as the main light).

The pic's have an almost orange tinge to them, I tried different white balances during the shoot, and never found a setting that really got it right.

So now I am thinking the gold umberella was probably not the best choice, however, I thought gold umberella's were supposed to specifically be for the purpose of warming up the scene.

Are there different amounts of gold in umberellas available and maybe I should look for a different one? If one is shooting a fair skinned subject, and wants to warm up the scene, how would you do it?

One other thing, I sure could use some unabashed criticism of the shot, what's right, what's wrong, with the shot.

I took these for a lingerie shop, so I opted for a high shutter speed (1/250) for clarity.

Thanks !!

Attachments

• $DSC_7689.jpg
    $DSC_7689.jpg
    970.1 KB · Views: 105
I can't help you with the umbrella, but I will say the dark left eye is really distracting.

I can't help you with the umbrella, but I will say the dark left eye is really distracting.

Thanks Tiller. I noticed that too, I asked her to reverse her hair during the shoot, but she even said, it just naturally falls that way and she couldn't really help it. So I moved the key light to the other side and kept shooting, sort of solved that problem. Your right though, shadows can be so subtle during the shoot and then ruin the final outcome if you don't notice what's going on.

Hairspray. One or two spritzes.

Gold umbrellas create VERY warm lighting effects. I can honestly say I have never seen a digital shoot where they were used where the photographer's results looked truly excellent. I am thinking that they are sort of a holdover from the slide film days, and that they might be useful when shooting outdoors in very "blue", shaded conditions. I don't really know...gold umbrellas seem like a gimmick to me, but perhaps there are some "secrets" to working with them? I dunno...

I feel the same way about the Photoflex multi-panel softboxes that allow the user to insert gold- or silver-colored panels...the samplephotos in their ads, the ones shot with the gold panels, always looked exceedingly cheezy to me, while the white-interior and silvered-interior sample pics looked quite acceptable.

Can you apply some kind of tint adjustments in post, to make the colors look more acceptable?

You can still buy gold umbrellas???? :shock:

What I have had good luck with is using the gold/silver panel on a 5 in 1 (the silver & gold zig-zag side) to pop just a bit of colour; use a larger one (60 -72") as the fill, might work okay.

Color isn't bad on my calibrated monitor.. it is warm, but not bad. You used Auto WB... never a good idea. For shoots like this... always set a custom WB with either a gray or white card. That way you have a reference.

It also looks like your light is not "wrapping" well. You either need larger modifiers, or get them closer to the subject. You have a multitude of harsh shadows that are unacceptable in this kind of shoot.

How big was your umbrella?
How far away from the subject was the light / modifier?
What light source did you use (speedlight / monolight) ? Assuming speedlight since it shows in Exif. Always make sure the light is not "Zoomed".. set it at the minimum zoom on the head for modifier use, or you get massive hotspots.

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...64748422-gold-umberella-question-dsc_7689.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 1,208.1 KB
Creation date: 3/30/2013 10:35
Last modification: 3/31/2013 11:13
Make: NIKON CORPORATION (Nikon | Home)
Camera: NIKON D7000
Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.2 (Windows)
Dimension: 2237 x 3377 px (7.6 MP, 2:3)
Focal length: 32 mm (equiv. 48 mm)
Aperture: F2.8
Exposure time: 1/250"
ISO speed rating: 100/21°
Program: Shutter priority
Metering Mode: Spot
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light detected

Color isn't bad on my calibrated monitor.. it is warm, but not bad. You used Auto WB... never a good idea. For shoots like this... always set a custom WB with either a gray or white card. That way you have a reference.
Yup, you are right on with everything...damn this is a complicated sport !! I left it on Auto WB when nothing else seemed to be any better. Afterwords, it occurred to me a custom white balance would have helped.

It also looks like your light is not "wrapping" well. You either need larger modifiers, or get them closer to the subject. You have a multitude of harsh shadows that are unacceptable in this kind of shoot.
Yup, I have read some about this. I am using a 36" umberella and it was about 6' away from her. That's too far away, right? I have had this problem (the light seeming flat) before, I am putting the umberella too far away?

How big was your umbrella? 36"
How far away from the subject was the light / modifier? 6'
What light source did you use (speedlight / monolight) ? Assuming speedlight since it shows in Exif. Always make sure the light is not "Zoomed".. set it at the minimum zoom on the head for modifier use, or you get massive hotspots.
I am using the Alien Bee, and a SB600 behind her as a hairlight, with the built in diffuser engaged, I believe at 1/16th power (manual).

Tiredirons remark above was pretty accurate too. It took a while to find that gold umberlla, 2 - 3 stores. I didn't know if they were wildly popular and sold out, or what. I guess they really aren't used much and that's the reason it was hard to find.

[PhotoME]
PhotoME version: 0.79R17 (Build 856)

[Overview]
URL: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...64748422-gold-umberella-question-dsc_7689.jpg
File type: JPEG
File size: 1,208.1 KB
Creation date: 3/30/2013 10:35
Last modification: 3/31/2013 11:13
Make: NIKON CORPORATION (Nikon | Home)
Camera: NIKON D7000
Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.2 (Windows)
Dimension: 2237 x 3377 px (7.6 MP, 2:3)
Focal length: 32 mm (equiv. 48 mm)
Aperture: F2.8
Exposure time: 1/250"
ISO speed rating: 100/21°
Program: Shutter priority
Metering Mode: Spot
White Balance: Auto
Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode, return light detected

Yup, you are right on with everything...damn this is a complicated sport !! I left it on Auto WB when nothing else seemed to be any better. Afterwords, it occurred to me a custom white balance would have helped.

Yup, I have read some about this. I am using a 36" umberella and it was about 6' away from her. That's too far away, right? I have had this problem (the light seeming flat) before, I am putting the umberella too far away?

I am using the Alien Bee, and a SB600 behind her as a hairlight, with the built in diffuser engaged, I believe at 1/16th power (manual).

Tiredirons remark above was pretty accurate too. It took a while to find that gold umberlla, 2 - 3 stores. I didn't know if they were wildly popular and sold out, or what. I guess they really aren't used much and that's the reason it was hard to find.

Yep! Way too small.. and way to far away. For a shot like this... I would not be using less than 60"... preferably larger. And just outside the camera frame... as close as possible.

Umbrellas are not as popular as they once were... softboxes are all the rage.

Yep! Way too small.. and way to far away. For a shot like this... I would not be using less than 60"... preferably larger. And just outside the camera frame... as close as possible.

Thank you, a lot to think about. So getting back to the umberella, the gold is a bad idea. If the model is fair skinned, can I, should I be able to modify the light at all to avoid a bleached out look? Can the light source be modified to help?

Thank you, a lot to think about. So getting back to the umberella, the gold is a bad idea. If the model is fair skinned, can I, should I be able to modify the light at all to avoid a bleached out look? Can the light source be modified to help?

use a large modifier... up close... and don't overexpose. You don't sound like you have the experience to be taking jobs like this yet... be careful, or you can kill your reputation before you even get started. I normally don't help those are are acting "Professionally" as they should know this stuff already! Not to be rude... but that is how I feel!

And there is no need for the red text.... lol!

Gold (and silver) reflectors are not meant to light the entire scene of ANYTHING, but rather add a kicker of tone here and there. Try only using a gold umbrella on your kicker. It can have a very retro "glamour effect", and the light will appear harsher than usual.

Wow i don't even like silver umbrellas much unless I purposely want an effect... white FTW. Of course anything (like warm WB) can be jacked in post but I like the WB spot on when using artificial light.

Now of course years ago Derrel put me on the WB/orange gel combo trick in the camera. On a cloudy day that yields BLUE skies and perfect skin tone heh
bigthumb.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back