Good deal? (camera + lens)

jbarnes.US

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been searching for a zoom/telephoto lens for my Canon T3, and looked on craigslist. Well, I found a sale with a Canon X (which I don't need) and a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO zoom lens. I was wondering if anyone has used this lens. Also, does it have autofocus and would the Canon 75-300mm III be a better deal? The sale comes with a filter, flash, and lens hood along with the camera and lens.

Link: CANON EOS REBEL X 35mm FILM SLR CAMERA BODY AND SIGMA LENS COMBO

a lot of the older sigma lenses for film are not digital compatible. If they are compatible with early digital cameras, sometimes they aren't compatible today either... It's a gamble. DG indicates that is digital and film compatible-those are the ones that can be a gamble on today's digital cameras. Chances are it would work. It's available for about $150 for the lens only new. It's also going to be a pretty low quality lens, so... Yeah. Not such a great deal.
Now having a film camera to play with? Decent idea!

Thanks! I knew it was too good to be true, lol. I would like to have a film lens, but the money is tight right now and I can only afford a cheap telephoto lens. I agree though, this camera would be pretty fun to play with.

If you have to go with a cheap telephoto then stick to the Canon. The cheap off brands aren't as good as the Canon ones. You are already compromising quality by going with CHEAP, don't compromise more.

I think I'll go with the Canon 75-300mm III. This seems like a semi-decent lens for the price. Will it have the same image quality as the kit lens at the maximum range when the zoom is at around 250-300mm? (if that makes sense, haha, I couldn't find a way to word it properly)

Not as good, but the kit lens is one of the better consumer lenses out there. It's more on par with the Canon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 IS which runs about $550

You're welcome... Not so sure I helped much! LOL!

Most reactions

Back