good dig SLR for beginner--$500 max?

ericcjensen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone---

This is my first post on this forum.

I am shopping for a new digital camera--my old broke a year ago--and would like to move in the realm of SLR photography. I don't know much about the more 'advanced' aspects of manual photography, like adjusting aperture, shutter speed, etc, but would like to get my feet wet.

Could anybody recommend a good digital SLR camera for me to start with? I'd like to keep the price tag under $500, if that's possible. While I do want to start playing around with the manual mode of SLR photography, it would be nice to also have a versatile camera for everyday photography--ie parties, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

--Eric
Thanks

PS--Has anyone heard anything good about the Canon PowerShot S2 IS? Most reviews make this sound like a pretty good deal.

Thx

Welcome to the forum.

The Canon S2IS (or newer S3IS), is said to be a good digital camera...but it's still a long way from a true DSLR.

You will be hard pressed to find a DSLR with lens and memory card for less than $500. Maybe a used Digital Rebel.

My advice is to save up a little more and go for something like a Canon Rebel XT or Nikon D50...with kit lens. It may be slightly above you budget now...but an SLR system will allow your gear to grow as your photography skills and interest grows. While something like an S2IS is good in some situations...it's not really upgradable.

Go to the Biginner section, Page 2. Hena19 asked the same question. Lots of interesting discussion and answers.

For P&S, I kinda like the ol'Canon G series.... I've borrowed one a few times and just recently purchased a mint conditioned used G1 as a "quick grab" P&S. A used G3, G5, or G6 should be in your price range. I do believe a new G7 also got announced.

Has many of the features one looks for in a DSLR body including RAW. Good optics and even a hotshoe for a dedicated canon EX line flash.

Other than that... perhaps a DSLR from about 6+ years ago.. like the D60, 6mp Rebel, or Pentax *ist. Even then.. it'll be tough to get a DSLR with all the fixins for under $500.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back