Good entry level Canon DSLR?

I'm in the same boat. I've been reading reviews, asking questions here, etc.

Based on reviews pretty much any of the major brand entry level cameras are good values. What it comes down to are the small differences and expandability.

How does one camera feel in your hand compared to the other. How do you like the control layouts. Do you have a particular type of photography you want to pursue and in what way. Do you want more convenience or to challenge yourself.

I started out considering the Sony A35, then read some here and considered things like lens choices and then looked at the T2i, then the Nikon D3200 came out and I was looking at that, but right now I'm back to the Canon. Why? Well, my main interest is macro. I initially turned to the T2i because Canon makes a pretty awesome macro lens that does 5:1, the MP-E65...but that lens is $1,000 and it only does macro. Add to that a pretty awesome flash unit in the MT-24 which goes for around $800 and suddenly the set up is staring $2,500 smack in the face. Way above my budget. So, more reading here about macro and how it can be done, things like reversed lenses, extender tubes, etc, then learning about Nikon lenses and that was leaning me back toward the D3200. Older, used Nikon lenses for comparatively cheaper prices would mean the ability for me to have options that I would normally have to wait much longer for when you start looking at glass that is upwards of $1,200 for good stuff.

Then I learned that the focal plane on Nikon cameras is longer than Canon's...which means adapters are available for the Canon that can mount and shoot Nikon lenses and maintain proper focal plane length. Suddenly the lens options have increased considerably. Yeah, the D3200 is 24.2MP, which alone doesn't mean better images, but does provide more crop ability (which can be useful in macro), but it doesn't give the potentially broad range of lenses (can't put an adapter on the Nikon and use Canon lenses) and there's no AEB in the D3200 (HDR is a secondary interest for me). Sure, shoot the exposures manually, but no AEB in the camera means no hand-held shots for HDR. Not significant, but a consideration.

Going back to the Canon means I do have the opportunity later to get that MP-E65 lens when my funds allow it, but also have the ability to find and use a broader range of older (and potentially cheaper) lenses to tinker and learn with in the interim. And...the T2i does do AEB....and it's 18MP...not quite 24.2MP, but a few MP more than the D3100 or D5100.

For me, right now the T2i presents the best option in my opinion. I'm still reading though and not going to run out and get it just yet. I may learn more, or something else that might sway me back to a Nikon or a Pentax, or who knows.

If it's not obvious, I tend to obssess over things and sometimes drive myself nuts worrying about details that may or may not matter, especially when contemplating what amounts to an expensive purchase for me. The reality is, either the Canon or the Nikon will probably suit me perfectly well, but I need to be comfortable with my decision, so to get there, i have to "wring it out" so to speak.

I too will vouch for the T2i. The only thing it doesn't have that I really would like is the built in ability to wirelessly trigger an off camera flash. The T3i does have this though.

Anybody able to provide some links to reliable retailers offering this camera at a good rate?

This website: http://desktop.toolshomes.com/ offers the T2i at below $300, which seems too good to be true. Then I noticed they are based in China, and that got me worried about the Chinese counterfeiting. I'm not sure if they're counterfeiting cameras yet, seems to be counterfeiting everything else hehe.

I would prefer Canon 550D or 600D probably the best and most popular Entry level DSLR offered by Canon.

Anybody able to provide some links to reliable retailers offering this camera at a good rate?

This website: http://desktop.toolshomes.com/ offers the T2i at below $300, which seems too good to be true. Then I noticed they are based in China, and that got me worried about the Chinese counterfeiting. I'm not sure if they're counterfeiting cameras yet, seems to be counterfeiting everything else hehe.

I recommend going refurbished through Canon Loyalty Program (CLP). You can send in any old Canon camera, broken, 35mm etc., and get 20% additional discount over their refurbished price. I didn't even check the shutter count on mine. It looked and smelled brand spanking new. Many people here say that refurbished camera is even more thoroughly tested than the new camera straight from factory so your chance of finding a lemon is virtually nil.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs...10051_-1_29252

Edit: Aftter 20% CLP discount T2i body comes out to $384.

I too will vouch for the T2i. The only thing it doesn't have that I really would like is the built in ability to wirelessly trigger an off camera flash. The T3i does have this though.
The T3i is the best value for now as the T4i is rumored to come out soon. It is already on sale on stores like Costco. The T2i if still available is also on sale.

I have the canon eos rebel t2i, and it is my first SLR. I use it on all of my jobs and it works great. It provides easy to use manual settings that make for great photos. I don't see a need for anything more unless you are a professional photographer full time. I do it as a side job (completely self taught) and it is great for me. There are also a decent amount of compatible lenses out there that will help boost your options with this camera.
$ad10.jpg

Hi, I have a Eos 1100D (Rebel T3) at the moment and I find it's a great camera for me to learn on. It does the job and takes great photos, I would like to upgrade to something like a 600D or a 450D but I am not sure which one is better, but for now I love my 1100 and am planning to get a 18-200mm lens for it in the near future.

Last edited:
Ok Phil, it's time we chewed you out. ;)

You posted this thread back in November -- it's now nearly June. That's about 7 months worth of MISSED PHOTOS because you still haven't bought a camera. Buy something already. With the current line-up, it's hard to make a wrong choice.

Hmmm, interested to see what the T4i will have to offer. Anyone have any idea when we might see it?

I'm thinking the T3i might be worth the extra $100 over the T2i. Wireless firing of off camera flash and more importantly (for me), articulated LCD.

Hmmm, interested to see what the T4i will have to offer. Anyone have any idea when we might see it?

I'm thinking the T3i might be worth the extra $100 over the T2i. Wireless firing of off camera flash and more importantly (for me), articulated LCD.

Links that I've found regarding the T4i

http://www.canonrumors.com/tag/t4i/http://www.canonrumors.com/tag/t4i/
http://www.canonrumors.com/tag/t4i/
http://www.canonwatch.com/canon-rumors-round-up-t4i650d-new-af-entry-level-ff-7d-mark-ii/
Rumored Specs for Canon’s Upcoming Rebel T4i/650D

It seems the main improvement will be on the AF system and the new DIGIC V chip. If the T3i continues to fall in price that would be great. Right now best price for the T3i is $879 at Costco with a the kit lens plus a 55-250mm zoom and a bag with instructional video. Also, my local Target sells the T2i with kit lens for $399 which is the same price that of the T3.

Ok Phil, it's time we chewed you out. ;)

You posted this thread back in November -- it's now nearly June. That's about 7 months worth of MISSED PHOTOS because you still haven't bought a camera. Buy something already. With the current line-up, it's hard to make a wrong choice.

haha thanks for the kick up the ass Tim, it is much needed! I guess I'm just concerned that I will buy a camera and then after several months later realize that I need something more powerful to achieve the kind of shots I'm looking for. It wouldn't matter so much if this hardware wasn't so expensive. I've also been getting on really well with my Canon S95 too, that is a really, really great camera by the way!

Canon T2i purchased! Went body only, now need to research lenses!

Most reactions

Back