Good entry level Canon DSLR?

Any of the Canon Rebels could be considered a good entry level DSLR.

I have the t2i and have had it for just shy of a year and am a beginner learning. I absolutely love this camera and the price it was.

I will say tho if I had more $$ at the time I would have gone with the 7d tho. I kind of wish I saved up more.

But now that I have some glass I can purchase a new body when the time and $$ is right :)

What equipment do you need to purchase with the body? I see several more expensive options than just the body that include kits. I already have a tripod, what else would I need?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The T2i is a VERY popular DSLR. It's a solid body for a great price. Are there better out there? Absolutely. The sensor is a wee bit noisy at high ISO's, but it's not a 35mm sensor nor does it have a lot of the noise suppression like the 1D. RAW shooting fulls the buffer up fast (7D is a lot better at this), and the grip is a little cramped. Of course, the fact that I can palm a bowling ball has nothing to do with that *rolls eyes*. With that said, it's a great starter camera. Be sure to ditch the kit lens, and have $1k over the cost of the body for lenses.

What is a good lens to go with this camera?

What is a good lens to go with this camera?
It depends. :er:

If you tend to shoot subjects that are farther away, then a longer lens would be in order. If you tend to shoot wide landscapes, then a shorter lens would be better. If you tend to shoot during the day (in good light), then the typical 'slow' lenses would be OK, but if you will be trying to shoot indoors, or in less than ideal lighting (and you don't want to resort to flash all the time) then you might want a 'fast' lens (large maximum aperture).

And of course, lenses have a huge range of prices. You could get something for $100 or you could spend $5000+.

If you really don't have a good idea what lens you might want, then I'd suggest the lens that usually comes with the Rebel cameras, the EF-S 18-55mm.

I am interested in this subject, also. Looking to buy decent used DSLR, lens, filters. Any advice gratefully received. Experience modest... used Olympus 35LC for 30 years, Sony Cyber-shot more recently. Want to take photos of people in group situations, and individually, during dance performances. Are lens interchangeable: i.e. Nikon lens on Canon body ? Thanks, George

I used the hell out of my 18-55mm kit lens with my T1i and...

It's garbage.

It's a shame, really... going back now, I can see a lot of shots that would have been so much better with a decent lens. I would suggest getting a body only and picking a better lens right off the bat. I finally settled on a Sigma 17-70mm with optical stabilization. It's fairly fast, too, with an f/2.8-f/4.0 wide-open range. The results are head and shoulders above the Canon kit lens.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to re-bump this old thread as I was wondering if there were any relevant changes here and specifically if the Canon t2i is still the go-to entry level Canon camera? I have seen the body-only t2i for as little as $300-350, I actually have several hundred bucks more to spend if necessary, would this change anybody's recommendation? Is there a better Canon I should go for?

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back