Good Friday in Jerusalem (avid for critique)

1. IMO the captions are disrespectful and counter the mood of the photos.

2. Too many snapshots, resulting in a loss of interest in the viewer. Cull them and display only the good ones. (especially your duvet. Who cares?)

3. More of these shots would have been interesting with better framing (e.g. What's all the fuss about, Kosher ZZZZZZ) or at least some judicious cropping (e.g. "More Priest", crop just below his beard to remove the tourist shirt, crop the top and left sides to suit.)

4. No variance in depth of field. The background sometimes interferes with the subject. I'm guessing you use a compact camera?

I beg to differ. You are asking us, as members of a forum that no doubt has members from all ethnicities, races, and religious backgrounds, to critique the photos you took at one of the most religious sites this world has to offer. The sheer amount of tradition and culture available where you were is stunning - and you have the temerity to take photographs and then belittle your subjects. I think your subject, if you are at all serious about photography, should be treated with reverence and respect. Instead you post petty comments on the beards, weight, and general appearance of the people you photographed. If I was an Orthodox Jew, perhaps the captions WOULD have some relevance, no? Think about it for just ONE second!

It goes beyond the respect issue, though - I assume you are trying to create moving, inspiring images (please correct me if I'm wrong). I will guarantee you, you will NEVER get the images you want with the attitude you exhibit. Photography is about empathy and feeling, about emotion, reverence, and respect, not just proper exposure. These are what help bring about good photos. My advice to you - erase the captions, fix your attitude, and THEN go take some photos. Until then, you may as well store your camera.

Lastly - the captions DO have a bearing because you are asking me, and every other person on this forum, to spend time critiquing YOUR photos. This is not a right you have, we do not owe you anything. WE do it because we love photography and genuinely want to help people. Do you really expect people to want to spend their time advising someone as disrespectful as you appear to be?

I agree 100% I was to distracted by the captions to properly judge the photos. I am offended for these people...Photography is about capturing a moment and preserving it for the world to remember, not as a way for you to insult the world. Unless you are making a political statement, which you clearly are not.

Most reactions

Back