Good lens for portraits?

Gr8outdrsmn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What is a good lens for portraits for a Rebel XTi? Also, what would be a good lens for a party that would cover the portrait style shots as wells as the little kids running around? Thanks in advance.

If I were you I'd go for the prime 50mm f1.4, great for portraits, great in low light if necessary and fast for snapping the little nippers running past! Good price too for a prime, as well as nice and light and of great build quality.

Thanks a bunch. The price isn't too bad for an all around lens. Thanks again.

I will second that - although on a 1.6 crop body you might consider the 35mm version.....I think its pricey though from memory......

or you could go for the f/1.8 version, which IMHO is just as good, and quite a bit cheaper.

the mail lenses i use for portrait are:
50mm f/1.4
17-40 f/4L
70-200 f/4L

acsonpg said:
I've always been told that a 105mm is best for portraits????
80mm-135mm on 35mm film cameras is what's usually touted. The digital Rebel is a 1.6 crop camera, so 50mm-85mm on that.

The 35mm is too wide for regular portrait use unless you are just doing environmental portraits which tend to be close to full-body shots.

For a portrait lens for a x1.6 Canon DSLR it's hard to beat the value of the Canon 50mm f/1.8 at $70ish, although my favorite portrait lens is the Canon 85mm f/1.8 (not as cheap, but still reasonably priced).

Thanks everybody. You are giving me a good range of lenses to choose from. Hope fully I can purchase my XTi soon and get to shooting with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back