Good Midrange DSLR With Video Capabilities? ($400-$550)

KaileneDanae

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks! I'm new here, but I hope to be a frequent poster soon!

Basically, I'm a soon-to-be graphic design graduate. Up until now I've (1) Used school cameras (2) Commissioned photographers or (3) Used stock photography. However, I'm planning to move abroad to Japan in a few months, and I think I ought to invest in at least a midrange camera (rather than the cheap point-and-shoot that I use for vacation photos.) I'm also quite interested video blogging, and because I'm also investing in the Adobe Master Suite and will have After Effects, I'd like something with decent video capabilities as well.

My design style tends to rely on illustration more than photography, but I'm looking for the best my budget can get me. I could possibly stretch it to $600, but ideally $500 or $550 would be the most I'd spend. Also, perhaps a Sony, Nikon, or Canon would be best since if I ever need repairs, a Japanese repair shop would be familiar with the make/model.

So, what do you guys suggest?

The basic entry-level DSLR's start at about $500 -$600 including a 18-55 mm kit lens.
Nikon D3200 24.2 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens (Black)

All the major brands are pretty much the same, capability and image quality wise, as far as entry-level DSLRs go.

Mid-range, or top of the entry-level segment DSLRs are $1000 - $2000 without a lens.
Nikon D7100 24.1 MP DX-Format CMOS Digital SLR (Body Only)

Between P&S and DSLR cameras are the 'bridge' cameras that do not have interchangeable lenses. You might also want to consider one of the 'mirrorless' interchangeable lens cameras.

This might be helpful to you - Everything you need to know about buying a camera | The Verge

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi Kailene - Keith has given you good advice. But one thing the Verge article gets wrong is that Sony NEX is not the only mirrorless camera with a DSLR-sized APS-C sensor. The Samsung NX line shares that distinction.

For that reason, the $585 Samsung NX-20 deserves consideration as you look at entry-level DSLRs. It is lighter and smaller than most entry-level DSLRs, and its electronic viewfinder continues to work when you're shooting video. DSLR viewfinders all go blank because the mirror locks in the up position and blocks the light going to the viewfinder.

This camera has several useful features, unique in its price range, such as wi-fi and a 20.3MP sensor.

Here is what this camera can do: Flickr: The Samsung NX20 Camera Pool

Samsung is a Korean company, but it's a worldwide brand, so you should have no trouble finding support for this camera in Japan.

Good luck with your move and your new career!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back