Good morning potoforum :)

GTR Driver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, newbie here hoping to use this site to learn a few things I can put to use. I am a new Nikon D60 owner. Glad to finally make the leap from my old point and shoot to this baby. My goal, obviously, is to be able to take manual shots instead of having it set to automatic all the time. I've been toying around with some flowers outside in the backyard. Not really impressing myself :lol:

Here is one I took a picture of with the camera set to macro. I honestly thought it would come out alot sharper than it did. Could anyone give me some tips for macro shooting nature shots like this? I don't recall what settings I was using besides macro. ANY tips would be greatly appreciated! Looking forward to hanging out here quite frequently!!

DSC_0121.jpg

did you take this one with d60? cause in that case i need you tell me where i find the macro function. just kidding. there is no such thing on the camera body so i suppose you mean with the lens set to macro... so telling us what lens you are using would help us help you.

about the shot: try new perspectives and read up on the rule of thirds. you can google it.

did you take this one with d60? cause in that case i need you tell me where i find the macro function. just kidding. there is no such thing on the camera body so i suppose you mean with the lens set to macro... so telling us what lens you are using would help us help you.

about the shot: try new perspectives and read up on the rule of thirds. you can google it.

Hi sburatorul, thanks for replying. I was under the impression the body had a macro setting because of the 'flower' selection. Shows you how much I know :)

The lens I used for this shot was a Nikon DX 55-200 Nikkor.

Are you saying to do macro shots I need to buy a macro capable lens or do I already have one?

Thanks again!

to do true macro shots you will need a dedicated macro lens

ok. to clarify things out. the programs on the wheel, except MASP, while they might be usefull sometimes, will not give you to much control over the camera as it basecally does everything for you. you should read up about shutter speed, aperture, iso number as these are the factors that affect your exposure.
M- full manual- you can set all the settings manually
A- aperture priority- lets you chose the f number and iso and sets the shutter speed for a good exposure
S- shutter priority- lets you chose the shutter speed and iso and sets the aperture(f number) for a good exposure
P- program- lets you chose the iso and the camera sets the rest for a good exposure.

now about the lenses. nickisonfire does have a point. and a dedicated lens will give the best results but there are other ways. there are telephoto lenses that also have a macro function like the tamron 70-300mm. you can also use a macro ring to place between the camera body and your telephoto lens to make it focus closer. there is another way. i got some macro shots inverting the lens and holding it in front of the camera body but it is a sure way to get dust inside. there are some inversion rings that let you use two lenses, one on the camera and the other in front of the first, inverted... there are endlles oportunities in photography, you just have to read a lot.

p.s you can also try to take photos at 200mm and than crop them to get tha magnification you want.

ok. to clarify things out. the programs on the wheel, except MASP, while they might be usefull sometimes, will not give you to much control over the camera as it basecally does everything for you. you should read up about shutter speed, aperture, iso number as these are the factors that affect your exposure.
M- full manual- you can set all the settings manually
A- aperture priority- lets you chose the f number and iso and sets the shutter speed for a good exposure
S- shutter priority- lets you chose the shutter speed and iso and sets the aperture(f number) for a good exposure
P- program- lets you chose the iso and the camera sets the rest for a good exposure.

now about the lenses. nickisonfire does have a point. and a dedicated lens will give the best results but there are other ways. there are telephoto lenses that also have a macro function like the tamron 70-300mm. you can also use a macro ring to place between the camera body and your telephoto lens to make it focus closer. there is another way. i got some macro shots inverting the lens and holding it in front of the camera body but it is a sure way to get dust inside. there are some inversion rings that let you use two lenses, one on the camera and the other in front of the first, inverted... there are endlles oportunities in photography, you just have to read a lot.

p.s you can also try to take photos at 200mm and than crop them to get tha magnification you want.

Thanks for the post. I am going to play around with my 55-200 lens and try some shots with it. I have found that my closeup shots come out better if I am farther away and use the 55-200 lens rather than the 18-55, so what you said actually makes sense

I have the D60 too, and I have yet to figure out exactly what that "flower" macro mode does. Why is that even there? It cant really do anything to focal range of a lens...so what does it do? Nothing I guess. My guess is it's just there to satisfy the P&S folks that dont know any better, or perhaps it makes internal adjustments to the color space, or dynamic range? Who knows....

Macro is a lens function, not a camera function.

There is a reason your 55-200mm is giving better results...less distortion. I love my 55-200mm lens. I gotta tell you, thats a fantastic macro shot in my opinion. Colors are great. I really want to get one of the Sigma APO macro 70-300mm lenses.

I would suggest switching to manual focus. Then using the viewfinder to get it locked on good. The AF doesnt work very well on macro shots, it has a hard time focusing on something that small. If you plan to do a lot of macro shots, you might want to think about having the viewfinder swapped out for a catzeye. Its a aftermarket replacement viewfinder that is really tuned for manual focus mode macro shots.

I have the D60 too, and I have yet to figure out exactly what that "flower" macro mode does. Why is that even there? It cant really do anything to focal range of a lens...so what does it do? Nothing I guess. My guess is it's just there to satisfy the P&S folks that dont know any better, or perhaps it makes internal adjustments to the color space, or dynamic range? Who knows....

There is a reason your 55-200mm is giving better results...less distortion. I love my 55-200mm lens. I gotta tell you, thats a fantastic macro shot in my opinion. Colors are great. I really want to get one of the Sigma APO macro 70-300mm lenses.

I would suggest switching to manual focus. Then using the viewfinder to get it locked on good. The AF doesnt work very well on macro shots, it has a hard time focusing on something that small. If you plan to do a lot of macro shots, you might want to think about having the viewfinder swapped out for a catzeye. Its a aftermarket replacement viewfinder that is really tuned for manual focus mode macro shots.

Those are good tips. Thanks to you as well. I'm currently shopping for a macro lens. Amazon has alot of them for what seems to be reasonable prices. Just not sure which one I want to go with. Are the macro lenses JUST for macro shooting or can they be used for other shots besides macros? If I buy one of the 70-300mm lenses with macro, would it replace the need for my 55-200mm w/o macro?

Yeah, the Sigma can be used in normal or macro mode. It has a switch on the side that selects between the two.

I wish the Nikkor 70-300mm VR had a macro mode. Of course if it did, it would probably be even more than its already insane price tag.

Most of the macro lenses can serve dual purpose...normal or macro mode.
Ive heard that the best for the D60 is the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR, but I really dont know. I dont do much macro stuff.

The difference between the macro enabled lenses and a standard lens is the minimum focus range. For instance the minimum on the Nikkor 70-300mm VR is 4.5ft....where as that sigma in macro mode is around 1ft.

I guess it depends on what you are shooting macros of....if its africanized killer bees, that 4.5ft might be a blessing. :mrgreen:

Yeah, the Sigma can be used in normal or macro mode. It has a switch on the side that selects between the two.

I wish the Nikkor 70-300mm VR had a macro mode. Of course if it did, it would probably be even more than its already insane price tag.

Most of the macro lenses can serve dual purpose...normal or macro mode.
Ive heard that the best for the D60 is the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 VR, but I really dont know. I dont do much macro stuff.

The difference between the macro enabled lenses and a standard lens is the minimum focus range. For instance the minimum on the Nikkor 70-300mm VR is 4.5ft....where as that sigma in macro mode is around 1ft.

I guess it depends on what you are shooting macros of....if its africanized killer bees, that 4.5ft might be a blessing. :mrgreen:

Haha... good point! I like shooting birds, insects and wildlife, so to me, the farther the better. I would consider spending the 540 on that Nikkor 70-300mm VR actually. Especially if it would replace the need for my Nikkor 55-200mm.

Im kinda ticked at Nikon about that 70-300mm lens.
The non-VR version runs around 150 bucks, but it wont AF on the D60.
So they stick a AF motor, and a VR in it and all of a sudden its 600+? Not to mention they dont offer a AF-S non-VR version of it. I think its a ripoff directed right at the D60/D40 users.
Just venting....:grumpy:

Im kinda ticked at Nikon about that 70-300mm lens.
The non-VR version runs around 150 bucks, but it wont AF on the D60.
So they stick a AF motor, and a VR in it and all of a sudden its 600+? Not to mention they dont offer a AF-S non-VR version of it. I think its a ripoff directed right at the D60/D40 users.
Just venting....:grumpy:

Marketing is a powerful thing :lol:

I dont know. If youve got the 55-200mm VR, I dont really think its worth the 600 bucks. Im in the same situation. Ive got the 55-200 DX, and want the extra 100mm, but I just cant bring myself to dump 600 bucks on an extra 100mm of lens. Thats why Im looking at the Sigma. Sure I lose VR, but its a third the price, and I gain a macro function.

Einy meany miney mo.

Also that Nikkor is a BRICK...sheesh. It looks like a howitzer mounted on a VW bug with the D60.

i have never even tried the other programs maybe because i upgraded from a p&s specifically for more control. i took some pictures with the close up program and i noticed it allmost always tries to have iso 100 and pop-up the flash for more detail and it also increases saturation for more vivid colors.

600 bucks for 100mm extra? hell no! i think you will be disappointed as to how much more it brings the subject closer. if you want to reach out more get a teleconvertor, sure it brings the light down by a stop or two but you get 1.5x the zoom.

now, if you shoot macro you should be using a tripod so vr isn't important. if you use it for portraits as well... than vr is a good extra.

the larger focusing distance that you talk about is the reason why 70-300mm is not a macro lens. you need to focus a lot closer in order to get 1:2 or even 1:1 magnification so even if it is safer(not sure by how much :lmao:)to shoot killer bees from 4.5ft you won't get a macro shot.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back