good photo editing software/programs for amateur?

mommyfran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just starting my journey photography. So I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice in what the best editing program would be for me to start with? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!​

Photoshop elements 9 is good and under 100.00! If you are a student or teacher you can get Photoshop for 200.00

I agree with Sparky... GIMP is probably your best bet.. works well and lots of features. Photoshop is awesome, but very expensive. CorelDraw is an option too.. but it is not the standard, and is rather expensive also. You can get the Corel Paintshop Photo for like $29 or so.. Corel - Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 Ultimatebut I think GIMP is better, and totally free.

Any version of Photoshop Elements -- even back to 3.0 or 4.0 -- is fine for learning the basics
and would be very inexpensive. I started on Elements 3.0 when it wasn't current.

If you go that route, get the free layer mask add-on and, as early as convenient, begin learning
about (and working with) layers and masks. One of the biggest mistakes beginners make is
destructive editing directly on image pixels rather than working with adjustment layers and masks.
Not working with adjustment layers is the dead giveaway of a novice.

Paintshop Pro Photo X3 Ultimate is better than Photoshop Elements, is photoshop-like in features and runs Photoshop Plug-Ins. Express Lab is the equivalent of Lightroom but built-in to the program rather than an extra cost. I have Photoshop CS5 as well, but for speed, Paintshop Pro Photo X3 is excellent.

skieur

In my experience, most of what a photobeginner has in mind when they think photo editing falls well into the capabiliies of Lightroom.

Those that think more along the lines of photomanipulation, will be fine with Elements and or GIMP.

If you really get hooked, start saving and the purchase price of Photoshop will seem like a bargain.... There is a reason why some wouldnt blink twice on spending $1500 on a lens but have a problem spending $630 on Photoshop. Its a lack of understanding ofnthe capabilities of the later. Just like outside this circle would not understand nor spend $1500 on a lens.

I personally use lightroom 3 with GIMP amd an outdated version of PS. My wife loves Picassa but isnt interested in photography as much as simply capturing moments.

+1 to usayit.. Elements is a good program however Lightroom is a great one and has good features, lots of great books that go along with it.
look up Scott Kelby's books on Elements and Lightroom, Lightroom is designed with a photographer in mind.. if you need layout, art type things then elements is fine

thanks to all! ya'll have been very helpful, i will be checking all these out & weighing my options!

If you like to keep things legal then GIMP is your best bet. If you know someone that is a teacher or student you can get them to get the discount from Adobe and Photoshop is $199. If you don't care about being legal then there may or may not be certain ways to get photoshop free ;)

If you like to keep things legal then GIMP is your best bet. If you know someone that is a teacher or student you can get them to get the discount from Adobe and Photoshop is $199. If you don't care about being legal then there may or may not be certain ways to get photoshop free ;)

yea.. and viruses to boot... most torrents have backdoors, and other nasty stuff built into them... but hey, do what you want.

yea.. and viruses to boot... most torrents have backdoors, and other nasty stuff built into them... but hey, do what you want.

Who said anything about torrents? Besides, I've never had any virus issues.

Who said anything about torrents? Besides, I've never had any virus issues.

I think " If you don't care about being legal then there may or may not be certain ways to get photoshop free ;-)" makes it pretty obvious what he was talking about. I work in IT.. with a slant on security. There are a lot of torrent users don't know what they have, and their antivirus may or may not catch it :) . All I will say on the subject.. don't want to hijack the thread.

If you don't care about being legal then there may or may not be certain ways to get photoshop free ;)
Advocating copyright infringement on a forum frequented by creatives that have a vested interst in protecting their own intellectual property is not cool.

On many photography forums it would be grounds for being bannished.

If you own a Canon, don't overlook Digital Photo Professional which came free with your camera on CD. It's the only program I've used and I was surprised at the things you can do with it.

Most reactions

Back