Good traveling/carry-on bag?

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,
It's been a while since I have been active here. Took a few classes at school and it utterly destroyed my passion for it. I am starting to get back into it, and with a trip coming up in June to Hawaii I want to make sure I can carry my gear safely.

I'd need it to be small enough to be a carry-on (no way I am checking in my gear) while being able to fit a D300 body, misc items like memory cards, and probably two lenses. I will take my 12-24mm and either my 18-200mm or a 17-55 2.8 if I purchase one before I leave. I will also need extra space for normal travel/carry on items that I will need with me. I can carry my laptop separately if necessary, but space for that as well would be nice.

I will most likely throw my tripod in the check-in bag.

Any experiences and thoughts are greatly appreciated!

For me, I went with the TSA approved Pelican 1510. I needed something that is hard and can withstand handling by luggage carriers that might not care about the contents. I needed something that can be pad locked. I also needed something that was "approved" as a carry on but always with the assumption that there might be a time that I'll be forced to check it in.

Until the st*p1d airlines actually enforce the carry on size limits there is never a guarantee that you won't be forced to check in. This is especially true if you are boarded towards the end and not fortunate enough to ride 1st class. I've seen idiots with luggage the size of two carry ons not stopped or approached by any of the airplane attendants only to screw those coming on board later.

Yes... throw your tripod in with check in. It doesn't brake easily. I had TSA inspect my luggage (they left a note) and I assume the tripod might have set off some concerns during x-ray.

I've traveled around the world with a LowePro Computrekker AW. It's a backpack style bag with a good sized camera/gear storage area, a laptop sleeve and a bit of room for additional storage.

I think it was probably over weight for some airlines...and while it did fit into the overhead bins, I don't think I could stuff it into those metal bag-sizing racks. But I never had a problem taking it as my carry-on.

If I was to get another bag for travel, I'd look at the Thinktank Airporter line of bags.

I actually brought 2 bags with me on my trip to Australia last month.

Lowepro Primus AW and Lowepro Classified 160AW. I carried both of them on. The rules said I could have 1 carry-on item and a personal item such as a small purse, laptop with laptop bag (and the bag only fits the laptop),... and a camera with camera bag (and the bag only carries the camera).

So I put my 3 lenses (10-22, 28-75 and 70-300) along with my XSI in the Classified, along with my netbook. I told the security agent that this was my camera bag and I happen to have more than just 1 lens. She asked if I had anything else in the bag other than camera gear, I said no, she said it would be ok.

My Primus has a place up top to store regular gear, coat, lunch, shoes,... and a bottom section for 3-4 lenses + body. While the bottom was empty for the plane ride, I put my regular carry-on stuff in the top section.

I brought 2 bags because I knew we were doing some trekking and longer days where having extra storage and mostly extra comfort with the gear would be essential. Tje Primus also has a tripod strap, so I used that during night shoots. The Classified was used when I had 1-2 lenses and moving around in cities and more confined places, as its a standard shoulder bag, it just does not look like a camera bag.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!

I came across these models from Tamrac which look great, and if I only carry a couple lenses they should provide extra room for other items, as well as my laptop.

Tamrac 8x model:
Tamrac | 5588 Expedition 8x Backpack (Black) | 558801 | B&H

Slightly smaller 7x model

Tamrac | 5587 Expedition 7x Backpack (Black) | 558701 | B&H

Based on reviews they are on the large side, so i am still looking for options but these are something to consider.

Here is something that may be more practical as I could use it on a daily basis for trips to the zoo, etc where I hate to carry a huge pack but also hate carrying the camera by itself:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&sku=586034&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews

Last edited:
+1 for the lowepro. Just bought one from the UK 2 weeks ago and it is a god send! Very comfortable. Excellent design means you can store your smaller stuff without opening the camera section.

+1 for the lowepro. Just bought one from the UK 2 weeks ago and it is a god send! Very comfortable. Excellent design means you can store your smaller stuff without opening the camera section.

Which lowepro did you get? The one I linked or one of the others mentioned above?

The problem is that most bags look very nice and sleek/compact in pictures, but in person or on YouTube reviews, they all look so damn bulky/fat.

Are there any good backpack or shoulder styles that aren't so bulky? I don't want to look like I brought the whole camera store with me.

The problem is that most bags look very nice and sleek/compact in pictures, but in person or on YouTube reviews, they all look so damn bulky/fat.

Are there any good backpack or shoulder styles that aren't so bulky? I don't want to look like I brought the whole camera store with me.
That is one problem that I have with the Computrekker....it's very bulky. A more 'sleek' line is the NatureTrekker, but I don't know if they have a dedicated laptop bag.

I have a Kata DR-466.

It fits all of my gear, a laptop, and has regular storage space also.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back