Gorilla Pod

JimmyO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was wondering if anyone has used a flexible bendy tripod like the gorilla pod to hold an off camera flash? Does it work well?

Thanks!

I have one for my point and shoot and it works very well. I know a member here has one for his dSLR and is very happy with it - I'll see if I can find a thread where I asked him about it (but it could have been in a PM)

utterly useless without a ballhead for a camera of any sort.

for flashes on location, they're awesome.

i'm dying for them to call it "gorillapod FLASH"

Intresting. I guess i should look into picking one up.

I would not place my D200 on one. I looked at one up close and felt it could not support my camera safely. As a flash holder, yes it has some value there, but nothing that a bungee-ball or a superclamp cannot do at 1/10th the price.

Looks like it must have been in PM's that the other member and I chatted about how much he liked the gorilla pod for his dSLR. While searching I found this positive comment by another member though:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1162801&postcount=16

Many people don't seem to like them and recommend a monopod instead. I find my gorilla pod very convenient (light, easy to carry and to set up extremely quickly on a fence, branch, car, whatever) rather than having to get a monopod or tripod all set up. I've had no problem with it not staying stable or in position. But as I said, I only have personal experience with the one for the point and shoot cams. And since you asked about using one for a flash, I'm sure the gorilla pod would work well for that

Note it will only be holding an off camera flash

I would not place my D200 on one. I looked at one up close and felt it could not support my camera safely.

the gorilla pod slr-zoom (which is what i bought for flashes) won't support a d80 with grip and 85/1.4 - wilted like a depressed flower - d300 w/ grip and it thumps the floor, literally.
bear in mind that day one, it MAY support a bit more weight than down the road. unfortunately they lose a bit of their strength, but if it's for an sb-800 or 580 II, you can hang 'em from pipes on the ceiling, door knobs, peoples belts (great for a hair light) and etc.

How exactly do you go from the 1/4 inch thread to something to connect the flash to. I know my cactus triggers have places to use this thread in there bases, is this how you do it?

...for an sb-800 or 580 II, you can hang 'em from pipes on the ceiling, door knobs, peoples belts (great for a hair light) and etc.

The gorilla pod that I saw was $39. Bungee-balls are available for $7 for 6 of them at the local hardware store. A real Bogen - Manfrotto Quick Action Super Clamp (the real thing) is available for $37.

I really am not seeing their value at all.

How exactly do you go from the 1/4 inch thread to something to connect the flash to. I know my cactus triggers have places to use this thread in there bases, is this how you do it?

Not sure about your flash, but the SB-800s come with a foot stand that has a 1/4" hole for the screw. They also make hotshoe connectors for attaching flashes to light stands.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The stud on a light stand.

I looked at flashes other than a Nikon and we are lucky... we have the 1/4" hole for the stud, others have just a hotshoe and no foot for the flash like we do. Thats where you need the attatchment that I linked in my post above.

with a flash foot or stand

SVSHOE.jpg

NKAS19.jpg

Most reactions

Back