Gorillapod vs Mini-Tripod vs...?

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a $75 amazon gift cert burning a hole in my pocket and have been eyeballing these gorillapods for a while.

Anyone have one and have any thoughts?

I'd like a portable/flexible tripod that's relatively easy to haul around with me.

I have a $75 amazon gift cert burning a hole in my pocket and have been eyeballing these gorillapods for a while.

Anyone have one and have any thoughts?

I'd like a portable/flexible tripod that's relatively easy to haul around with me.

I bought a Gorillapod for a P&S. Not pleased at all. It quivers.

For my SLRs, my tripod substitute is a child's bean bag, although mine was custom-made by my wife's grandmother thirty years ago.

Take 1 $1800.00 camera (D300). Add one expensive Nikon lens then stir in one 1 $70.00 Gorilla Pod SLR plastic flexible bead leg mini tripod. Mix well until combined. Now add one teaspoon of hard surface.

While the mixture is setting out preheat your broom and dustpan to room temperature. When Gorilla Pod fails sweep remains into dustpan and place all pieces into proper waste container.

Sorry, after looking at the different Gorilla Pods they look like a recipe for disaster to me.

Personally for something small like that I would look at something like these.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247267-REG/Benbo_BEN108_Mini_Trekker_Tripod.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...il&Q=&sku=394681&is=REG&si=spec#goto_itemInfo
The Novoflex is rated to medium format cameras.

They won't wrap around a pole, but they also look a lot more stable than a bunch of snap beads for legs.

sorry its the UK version - but I would go for the http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-M...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210522876&sr=8-1
rather than the 190. Mostly as I have read some very good things about hte 055 (and by end of next week should be able to comment from experience).
As for the head - again not from my experiences - I have seen others using it to very good effect - depends what sort of shooting you do though = the ballhead is much better for tracking something moving rather than setting up for a landscaping shot (not to say that they cannot do it, just that a 3 way head would proably be easier to use.

For the OP, gryphonslair99 really summed things up. Those tripod grips are made with compact point and shoot cameras in mind and as such are not designed for all the weight in a SRL or DSLR. I think it goes without saying that when it comes to tripods (and bags) its foolish to think that after spending so much on the camera and lens that the tripod should be the cheaper model - get the best you can. Also, if getting lower down is your aim look at the tripod I linked (and I think the 190 as well) which can get as low as 10cm off the ground and still be able to stand at full height if you wish.
Also - a decent sock + rice + string or thread and you can make your own beanbag :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My kids got me the gorilla for Christmas last year and I have yet to use it. I am worried about the scenerio that gryphonslair99 set out above.
I have a Manfrotto but it's older and not a quick release, I would love to get one of those soon.

So, I am actually tired of buying tripods that turn out to be not so good! :(

Anybody familiar with this tripod:
Bogen - Manfrotto 190XPROB Black Tripod Kit with 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Quick Release Head

Any input would be great.

Dang, sorry for hijacking your post, manaheim.

I have the older 3021Pro B legs and love them. I have heard many good things about the 190XPROB legs as well. As for the head pictured, I use it and love it. With that said, that is my studio head on a larger set of legs. For field stuff I prefer my 3021 legs with the 488RC2 head. A little easier to carry around than the 322RC2

I have a very similar setup, and let me say the manfreto/bogen support system is the sharpest lens i have. My shooting partner uses the same setup as well.
I love watching people tilt there heads when i make the thing go from eye level to 10cm off the ground.

Those larger ones are obviously nice, but I'm looking for a more portable solution.

Totally understand the gorilla fears, though I wasn't planning to stick the thing on some pole overhanging a highway or anything...

Dunno. I guess I really want it to be viable because it seems cool.

how portable is portable?
those larger tripods are not that cumberson and with a bag they can be carried about very easily (for when you are not shooting) and then whilst you are shooting they are a real asset.
Guess it really comes down to what you want out of the tripod

those larger tripods are not that cumberson and with a bag they can be carried about very easily (for when you are not shooting) and then whilst you are shooting they are a real asset.

I fashioned a sling type strap on mine. Holds nicely on my back along side a backpack!

My current thing is I try to carry my camera EVERYWHERE I go. For me that means trying to maximize the effectiveness of the equipment I carry, but minimize the space. Carrying a normal size tripod everywhere I go would kinda be a nightmare.

Basically, I try to carry no more than I can fit in my mini-backpack: http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-5273-Expedition-Photo-Backpack/dp/B00004X0ZO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

hmm I must admit that I have carried a normal sized tripod where ever I tend to go and its never really got in the way much - its another bag, but its not much hastle. Plus when I get somewhere (say a zoo or a park) and I know that I will be using and needed the tripod I take it out and fold up the bag - then the tripod stays out all the time, locked onto the camera. Its actually not too bad to go around like that - though I will admit I often have all the legs retracted but then this is not a problem for me as I tend to use the tripod low down more often as not.

As you were looking at the mini-tripods I guess you are into macro photography - I think it would be better to have one single tripod that can do all, rather than 2 which you have to change between

My current thing is I try to carry my camera EVERYWHERE I go. For me that means trying to maximize the effectiveness of the equipment I carry, but minimize the space. Carrying a normal size tripod everywhere I go would kinda be a nightmare.

Basically, I try to carry no more than I can fit in my mini-backpack: http://www.amazon.com/Tamrac-5273-Expedition-Photo-Backpack/dp/B00004X0ZO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Then take a look at the Novoflex I posted a link to. Folded only 7.6" and 5 ounces. The Gorillapod SLR is 9" and 8.5 ounces. The Novoflex won't wrap around anything, but it is small, well built and supports more than the Gorillapod. They are priced the same and the Novoflex would give you a small ballhead in case you ever decided to get a monopod.

Way off the price range that you mentioned, but the best mini tripods that I've seen do far, are -

Gitzo Baby
Folded: ~10" Max: ~14" Min: ~2.5" Load: ~22 pound

Really Right Stuff
Folded: 12.4" Max: 16.9" Min: 1.9" Load: 50 pound

Those come without a ball head.

Most reactions

Back