Got a camera, now what?

Haylotx85

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there! I recently purchased a Canon Rebel XSI with a 18-55mm f3.5 - 5.6 lense and today my 50 mm f-1.8 lense should be arriving in the mail! I have read my manual, figured out what what aperture and iso is (kinda--sorta) and have had a blast shooting with my first DSLR! I am now interested in purchasing a photo editing software and have been reading about them. Apparently they are difficult to use and it takes lots of practice and patience and tutorials to figure any of these programs out...?? Do you know anything about the different programs that are available out there (Photoshop is hella-expensive!)? Got any advice out there for... well..... anything??:blushing:

Gimp! Its free and is very similar to photoshop. It works great for people just getting into photography and not doing any hardcore photoshopping. I'd definitely recommend it for you.

Get photoshop from a torrent lol

I do believe lightroom is only $300.

Have you tried the supplied canon software?

I downloaded paint.net and lost patience REAL quick! Are all programs like that, is Gimp??

i second DPP (came with the camera in the cd). its a good beginner tool! :D

I downloaded paint.net and lost patience REAL quick! Are all programs like that, is Gimp??

Im afraid that from what i saw of a screenshot of paint.net that yes they are similar. Unfortunately, thats how photoshop is going to be as well. Dont lose patience and keep trying. You are definitely right, it takes a lot of work and patience but it is worth it. Keep practicing and look up some tutorials and youll be fine!

Gimp is free and good.

Photoshop Elements gives you the basics of photoshop, which is normally more than enough for an entry level photographer, at a much cheaper price.

Lightroom is another Adobe software geared towards photographers which is used quite a bit. More adjustement sliders than actual editing, but works great.

Hard to say if you will have the same issues with other programs as only you really know you. Look up tutorials for whatever software on youtube

You know I forgot about the disc that came with the camera! I will definetly check that out, thank you! Do you know if it teaches about layers, etc.?

i haven't used it for a few months. don't recall any layer functionality. you can use it for exposure (RAW), CA/noise reduction, distortion fix (with the lens you mention), curves, sharpening, white balance mode, resize, tif/jpg export..

The Canon software, as far as I've seen, only allows basic color/size/sharpness/crop manipulation, and RAW to compressed or TIF conversion. You don't have the ability to do localized manipulation, only global.

Also, shooting in RAW allows you to change the white balance after you upload the picture to your computer...right? Is this all it allows you to do or what are the other benefits of shooting in RAW? Do you ?

Also, shooting in RAW allows you to change the white balance after you upload the picture to your computer...right? Is this all it allows you to do or what are the other benefits of shooting in RAW? Do you ?

it allows you to decide any setting other than the shutterspeed and aperture you selected for the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back