Hey, I'm new myself, and just started using GIMP. I'll be honest, that program can be frustrating as well. Its not simple, like the editing programs that come with your computer. Its complex, but I think once you figure it out its not bad (at least that's what I've heard)
Also, here's something I just learned - if you go to Flickr and see an image that really stands out to you, click on it and check out its "properties" (This is found on the right hand side of the image, if you scroll down a bit. Some have this and some don't)
This will tell you the settings the photographer used to capture the image AND which program they used to edit it. I found out that most of the photographers that inspire me use Adobe Photoshop CS4. So that might be something to look into...
If you don't mind, I'd like to add a question to your post - With shooting in RAW, does it make much difference to shoot just RAW, or RAW+JPEG? I noticed that when I shoot with the second option, the image is displayed on the LCD. Is that all that's different between the 2 options?