Got a "new" camera...

Fishpaste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The Nikon FM. I really like the focusing screen, wider range of shutter speeds, and smooth operation. The Zenit is clunkier, and hard to critically focus, but I do like the Helios a lot. I can't decide which one I like more, so I think I'll end up using both cameras now and again. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I guess they were pretty bad, huh?

Any ideas/critiques as to what I can do better next time? (Maybe I should just go to photo school)

I guess they were pretty bad, huh?

Any ideas/critiques as to what I can do better next time? (Maybe I should just go to photo school)

number 1: the subject appears to be the bud or seed pod (whatever it is) yet it is out of focus. It's an interesting photo but wish that woulda been in focus instead of the random piece of branch near the base.
Number 3: there's not really much to it.. I lke the retro look but it's boring. Again, there's no subject.

Hope this helps!

Congrats on the new Nikon FM!!! I used an FM for many years as one of my main cameras. I always liked the FM's size, weight, and simple operation. I was truly a wonderful new direction for Nikon. I still have my original one. I actually preferred the FM to the later FM-2 and FM-2-n models.

Looks like a fun thing to play with...I read the wiki and it looks like it was a workhorse in it's day.

number 1: the subject appears to be the bud or seed pod (whatever it is) yet it is out of focus. It's an interesting photo but wish that woulda been in focus instead of the random piece of branch near the base.
Number 3: there's not really much to it.. I lke the retro look but it's boring. Again, there's no subject.

Hope this helps!

Hi, and thanks for your reply (I do appreciate all criticism as I think it helps me improve).

As for 1, the effect was intentional. Maybe it doesn't work like I imagined. That was the last leaf on that tree, and I was hoping it would look as if it were fading away. The gross proportion of negative space is in this case, also intentional.

As for 3, I was hoping to convey an abstract feeling. I figured the flat horizon, color gradient, and portrait orientation for a landscape shot would provide interest. I didn't intend to capture a subject. I do see what you mean though.

Thanks again!

And yes, the Nikon is great. It oozes quality, and despite its vintage, it operates like clockwork! The Zenit's clumsiness is very endearing, however.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back