Got my first wasp.

ajkramer87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Found a wasp today. Took some shots at 1:1 then put my raynox 250 on. Not really sure what ratio that is but it was a lot harder. Number 1 is my favorite of these. Anyone know how to get rid of the harsh flash marks on the eyes?

1)
019.jpg

2)
026.jpg

3)
028.jpg

4)
032.jpg

To be honest, 1 is the only one I like at all...they all seem to have flat lighting with underexposed areas (completely gone) and not super sharp (guessing due to the drop off from the Raynox). What is your lighting setup. A diffuser will help with lighting overall and help with the hotspots on the eyes. Moving the flash closer also makes the lightsource bigger in prespective to the subject so move the flash right up to the end of the lens if you can.

To be honest, 1 is the only one I like at all...they all seem to have flat lighting with underexposed areas (completely gone) and not super sharp (guessing due to the drop off from the Raynox). What is your lighting setup. A diffuser will help with lighting overall and help with the hotspots on the eyes. Moving the flash closer also makes the lightsource bigger in prespective to the subject so move the flash right up to the end of the lens if you can.

Thank you, thats what I was looking for. I'm not sure what I'm doing that they are not super sharp. LordV told me to try f/11 instead of f/14. As far as flash goes I'm shooting an Sb-600 on camera. The diffuser I'm using is home made from a milk carton. I'm using a paper towel to diffuse the light. I think the harsh spots are because its not allowing the light to spread open. Its not a big opening. I'm thinking that a flash bracket is in order, along with a Lumiquest soft box. Again thanks.

No problem. I notice a huge difference in lighting by getting the flash off center...I think a flash bracket (even a DIY) is your best bet. I get much nicer lighting by having it 25-45 degrees off center....I have the lumiquest mini-softbox....works wonders and I get beautifully soft lighting with it.

I can't imagine much difference in sharpness between f/14 and f/11. My lens is sharpest at f/13 and most I've seen are as well. Anyway, these aren't bad and I think lighting is a lot of it....get that straightened and you're on your way.

Most reactions

Back