Got new 40D!!!!!

ferret_lovr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't even know where to start. I began reading the manual and I am so worried I will hurt it somehow that I haven't even taken it out of the box yet...lol. Can anybody give me any pointers as to where to start? lol. I am beginning a photography class this semester but I can't wait 4 weeks to be able to even take it out...lol....any help would be great. Thanks.

Just take it out and start shooting try av mode or something like that and just see how the results come out and learn to adjust and compensate for certain conditions. You would be surprised how much you can learn just from shooting around at everything. Have you already charged up the battery and got a memory card? I assumed that you did. Let me know how it turns out.

Congrats! I just got mine a few weeks ago and love it.

So where do you want to start? You bought the camera and you are scared to take it out of the box? First of all get excited about what you just bought, that will get you excited enough to just take it out of the box. What lens or lenses do you have for it?

-Christopher

So true^ when I got my d90 I was so excited to open it up I almost forgot first you must insert the battery haha. Nothing to be scared of as long as you don't drop it off your house or throw it in a lake even though this happens quite frequently you should be pretty good. Great camera choice too.

Nothing to be scared about. Let's get it out the camera, switch the dial to "M", read the manual, charge the batter and let's start shooting.

Shoot anything around you. The sooner you start shooting, the sooner you'll begin learning how to take good photos of what interests you and mastering your tool.

Congrats.

When I just started shooting I noticed I actually really enjoy shooting macro so you won't know until you actually do it.

Sorry. I didn't reply right away guys. I had to go to town to get a cleaning kit and a case to protect it. I have the 18 mm lens that it came with. I have no idea why I am so scared to begin using it. lol...I will wait about an hour for the battery and start shooting. I'll go play the wii 4 a bit 2 distract me...lol. But I would like to do animal photography and I love macro too. But I am going along in the manual and I can't see myself reading the whole thing(as my dad would) before I use the camera...lol. That would be very hard. lol. Another thing. I've heard if you don't know what your doing then the pictures will look very ordinary...is this true? Or will I be able to tell the difference?

No just think creative when you go to shoot. Don't just snap right away ask yourself how a picture would look from perhaps a different angle or a different lighting situation, experiment and choose what looks best to you. Remember it isn't always about what other people think of your pictures but more about what you see in them and think they look. I'm not sure if the canon came with a quick start guide it most likely did and that has plenty of useful info. to get started right away (hence the name) lol. I assume you also have a memory card because you don't want to go around shooting and then realize it wasn't all saved. Let us know how it goes!
-tj

I don't even know where to start. I began reading the manual and I am so worried I will hurt it somehow that I haven't even taken it out of the box yet...lol. Can anybody give me any pointers as to where to start? lol. I am beginning a photography class this semester but I can't wait 4 weeks to be able to even take it out...lol....any help would be great. Thanks.
First of all...congrats on your new 40D, it's a great camera.

Where to start? Try these links...

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

How To Photograph...
Another thing. I've heard if you don't know what your doing then the pictures will look very ordinary...is this true? Or will I be able to tell the difference?
Very few beginners can take good photographs (good composition, interesting image that tells a story, good use of light, spot on exposure, etc...)...most will just take "snapshots" (uninteresting or boring pictures with bad composition, bad use of light, over or under exposed, etc...) until they decide they want know what makes a photograph "good".

It's a long process that can take years to learn...some people will "get it" sooner than others...some will take longer.

For now, just go out and shoot and have fun. Get used to the camera controls and experiment.

Post a few shots to get an idea how you're doing, but don't expect them to be award winning masterpieces. Learn from the C&C and use that knowledge the next time you go out shooting.

First of all...congrats on your new 40D, it's a great camera.

Where to start? Try these links...

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

How To Photograph...Very few beginners can take good photographs (good composition, interesting image that tells a story, good use of light, spot on exposure, etc...)...most will just take "snapshots" (uninteresting or boring pictures with bad composition, bad use of light, over or under exposed, etc...) until they decide they want know what makes a photograph "good".

It's a long process that can take years to learn...some people will "get it" sooner than others...some will take longer.

For now, just go out and shoot and have fun. Get used to the camera controls and experiment.

Post a few shots to get an idea how you're doing, but don't expect them to be award winning masterpieces. Learn from the C&C and use that knowledge the next time you go out shooting.

Oh wow! Those articles helped loads!!! Thanks a whole bunch! I have been reading non-stop! :eek:)

Have you taken it out and shot with it yet? And is it a canon or nikon?

Just got my 40d about a week ago and I do truly think I made the right choice. I personally took it out the box and started shooting before reading the manual but you will eventually have to crack it open. There are certain things like setting the aperture in manual mode and setting exposure compensation in creative modes that I couldn't figure out until I read the manual (you might be able to figure it out tho). This is my 1st dslr and it opens soooo many new doors for me. Enjoy!!! and post yr pix..

take it out. your first pics won't be what you expect so thats normal. Keep shooting, and keep researching!

Take it out of the box, go outside and find anything to take pictures of...a fence, a car, a snowdrift, a view! Take a tons of photos, up close, far away, at an angle. Try different apertures, lighter/darker exposures etc, use your auto modes, portrait modes, landscape and macro, try a minimum of 10 photos....Find 5 things to do this exercise with and examine what you liked and didn't like on your computer and note the camera settings. Tomorrow expand your arc, walk around the block, make your neighbors wonder why you're taking pictures of their mailbox (I was all over my neighbors fountain)...next week get in your car and drive to the nearest shopping center, or go to the zoo (secret, put your lens right up to the fence to make it "disappear" in photos). Don't worry as much about finding the perfect time (I procrastinated forever because I couldn't get out at sunrise or sunset), you're just exercising your photographer's eye. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Most reactions

Back