Grad photos - Pic heavy for C&C

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by CherylL, May 13, 2019.

1. CherylL

CherylL TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    A few photos of our Grad student we hosted from Panama & her friend. The area has dappled light and my husband held a reflector to block the light in a few of the photos.

I had poses saved to a Pinterest board and it helped to show them the pose. I mostly work with my grandgirls and schnauzers so this was easier working with adults.

A little pic heavy so any C & C is appreciated. Thanks

050519_030smW.jpg

2. Sloppy casual with a tree in head. I did move her over for another shot, but I liked the expression in this one. I did take a few shots that were more formal with the robe zipped.
    050519_036smW.jpg

050519_062_4x5smW.jpg

4. This was her favorite pose on the Pinterest board. My husband held the reflector for her face and her friend held up one of the robes to block the dappled light on the legs.
    050519_090smW.jpg

050519_150smW.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You sure like to make it difficult! Tremendously difficult lighting and you still got the shot, they are what they are. Personally I'm leaning toward 3 because of its intimacy with the subject, but 4 & 5 aren't bad either.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Very nicely done, especially given the challenging conditions. I really like #s 3 & 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. CherylL

Photos OK to edit
    #3 is my favorite. There are a few more that are close up like this one. I really like the 85mm 1.8 lens. The dappled light is difficult in this area because the trees are not full yet. There were other groups taking photos and everyone was patient not getting in each other's shots. The gardens have paved walking paths and there are other areas I have taken portraits the last 2 years. Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 1
  5. CherylL

Photos OK to edit
    #4 the pose on Pinterest had the right hand under the chin, but she naturally placed the hand on the head. It did take a little to get the legs just right. The dress drape is a little sloppy. The dappled light is hard to work around and glad I brought the reflector. Shooting 2 at first I thought would take forever, but I would show them the pose and get one in place and the other just stepped into the shot. So setting up the shot once and taking 2 portraits wasn't too time consuming. With trees, dappled light, hair, people walking around, camera settings...too much to think about! I don't know how the pros do this on a regular basis. Thanks for looking!

6. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sometimes the only thing that separates us from the Pros are the six "P's". (Clean version) Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Poor Performance. However, when family is involved we tend to think more like proud parents and less like Pros.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CherylL

Photos OK to edit
    Love the six P's quote! I'll have to remember this one with the millennial in my life that lives by managed crisis mode. Two years ago when I did my first session at the Gardens, I went the week before and walked around noting where the light was coming from at different locations. I tend to over plan. That doesn't mean things always work out as I envision. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Fujidave

Fujidave Blue eyed and Beautiful

Photos NOT OK to edit
    4 and 5 are my favourites out of this good set, like you say you have to be careful with the background but all good shots.

9. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    All very nice, especially considering the light conditions.

I prefer the closer ones, 3 and 5. I think the angle in the first is a little high, and the pose in 4 is not the most flattering.

10. goooner

goooner Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice set, much better than I would've done considering the circumsances. Not a fan of the tree growing from her head in 2, but other than that, well done!

11. CherylL

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! Yes those darn trees! I seem to forget every time.

Thanks! #3 is my favorite. The first the angle is too high and one of the more level paths would have been better. #4 I agree and there is something that didn't quite work out. Maybe the angle or the heels too high or the dress. I can't put my finger on it. That pose took the longest to set up. I brought plastic bags for them to sit on and not snag the dress.

Thanks! Yes those trees do not like me or they like to photo bomb my shots.

I appreciate the feedback everyone!

12. Photo Lady

Photo Lady Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

i like them all.. but especially # 3.. the tree can always be taken out the photo.. which will really make all the difference... she is a beautiful grad...and the last one is just perfect timing in every way...