What's new

Graduated neutral density filter

CJThePhotographer

TPF Noob!
Joined
Feb 16, 2010
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Point Roberts
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
:thumbup:I was looking at some water photos and want to try them. Whats a good Graduated neutral density filter that would work for this. I use a nikon D300 and would be using my 70-200 if that helps.
 
Go to www.bwvision.com and check out the tutorials on long exposures. Good info on neutral density filters.
 
Look at the end of your lens. That will tell you what mm size you will need.
 
:thumbup:I was looking at some water photos and want to try them. Whats a good Graduated neutral density filter that would work for this. I use a nikon D300 and would be using my 70-200 if that helps.


It depends on what you meant by "water photos". If you are looking for a filter that can create a smooth water surface or silky looking falls, I will look for Neutral Density filter instead.

If you like to take a photo of a scene that you want to darken the upper part of the photo (i.e. sky) but not the bottom part, then the Graduated neutral density filter is useful. ( or the other way around)
 
For graduated ND's there are many options. I got myself a Cookin P series holder and a few filters to go with it.

You can buy the filter holder alone, or a kit with an adpater. This one comes with a 77mm adapter:
Cokin | "P" Series - Filter Holder, 77mm | CBP40077

I bought a couple adpaters for different lenses. Pretty cheap, actually.

The filters of course are more money. After researching I eneded up buying hitech filters. Seemed to be good value for the money. Not "the BEST", but since I knew I wouldn't be using them all the time, and after reading they are a good choice that's what I went with.

I got a hard edge for times where the bright sky and land or water line are well defined, and a soft edge for when it’s not. I actually haven’t used them as much as I would like. I'm not with my equipment, so can't remember exavctly what I got.

Some choices:

ND.3 (exposure adjustment = 1 stop)
ND.6 (exposure adjustment = 2 stops)
ND.9 (exposure adjustment = 3 stops) ND1.2 (exposure adjustment = 4 stops)

My hard edge I recall is .9, I think I got the .6 and the .9 in the soft edge.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom