Graffiti Art - Does this work?

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Newbe Alert: I've been playing around with editing software and I'm worried that maybe I'm trying to hard to create "photo art" instead of focusing on making the images realistic. With this photo I've tweaked the saturation, exposure and lighting effects. I was trying to make it more interesting, like something I'd want to get printed and frame. I like it, but I wonder what you see here. Feel free to be candid.

i think i would of zoomed in closer and moved in so you were looking up more if its possible. the pic is a little wide and lacks direction. in other word its hard to know what you want people to look at. if the tittle wasnt graffiti i might not of even seen the face. try croping the stores out.

I would clone out the power line as well.

Thanks. The power line has to stay for now until I can get better editing software, but I agree, it takes away from the photo.

Not sure I'd want to crop it, though. I sort of liked the busy aspect of it. I figured the eyes would be an obvious point of interest.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

That would be an awesome HDR image. :thumbup:

Well, I'm drunk and bored. Seeing as how I did one of these edits for you before, I figured I'd go ahead and post. This isn't a very good edit, but hopefully it will give you an idea of what your shot would look like without the powerlines. I could make it line up with the bricks, but that would take some considerable editing and I don't have the original file, or really the time (I have a test on tuesday). Anyway, at least this will give you an idea

2GraffitiEyes-Edit.jpg

I think a square crop of this might be more successful.

Thanks a bunch for the CCs. And thanks a million Ashley for editing out those power lines. Here's a crop of the photo, which happens to conveniently lose the power lines. Not sure I like this better, but it does create definite focal point. It's the air conditioner, obviously. :D

hey man.. check out my flickr page. The graffiti section, so you can get some ideas. (not trying to "break" into your topic lol, if so, sorry).

Graffiti - a set on Flickr

Hey Wiljo 5,

I checked out your flickr page, great shots. Good graffiti is hard to find. :)

I'm probably going to revisit the site of my graffiti photo and try to get a bunch of shots. It's a really busy part of downtown Toronto, so for best results I'll have to wait until an early Sunday morning.

On another note: A friend has graciously lent me his Canon 20D dSLR to play around with. Not sure how long I have it, but a few weeks anyway. Trouble is, I can't get my computer to recognize it and download the photos. Another issue is that it's a bit overwhelming. The user guide is like 168 pages or something. Should be fun figuring it out once I can get the photos onto my hard drive. Another friend of mine owns a computer company and is going to send over one of his techs to check out my box.

Hey Wiljo 5,

On another note: A friend has graciously lent me his Canon 20D dSLR to play around with. Not sure how long I have it, but a few weeks anyway. Trouble is, I can't get my computer to recognize it and download the photos. Another issue is that it's a bit overwhelming. The user guide is like 168 pages or something. Should be fun figuring it out once I can get the photos onto my hard drive. Another friend of mine owns a computer company and is going to send over one of his techs to check out my box.

Well, if you don't have the Canon software installed on your computer, the computer may not recognize the camera or the files. I know with Nikon raw files are saved as NEF files, but P.C.'s won't read RAW or NEF, so either way, that may be your issue. If I were you, I'd go to Cnet.com and download some RAW editing software if you can find a demo or maybe a freebee. Remember that the computer still won't recognize the camera, but I think you can get the drivers from Canon's website. If not, go to wal-mart and buy a card reader. Then you can get the files from the reader rather then having to use the camera. So in short, you need 2 things. The drivers for the camera (or a card reader) and you RAW editing software, then you should be good to go... Good luck

Thanks Ashley. I've already download the Canon software and drivers and still no luck. I think it stems from another issues I've had for a while now. I had problems with one version of the adobe pdf reader and the executable file "getPlus_HelperSvc.exe". When I tried to get my computer to recognize my camera, an error message would appear related to this missing file. My friend will fix me up and I'll be back in business, hopefully. The drag is I'm going to the practice session of the Honda Indy Toronto tomorrow. It would have been nice to take the dSLR. I haven't bothered playing with it because I can't get the photos off the camera. Oh well.

Most reactions

Back