Graffiti in Montreal

A4Effort

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found this amazing section in the city with the very impressive graffiti. This is only one picture of many that I took. Played a little in PP. Let me know what you think of it.

IMG_6141_extr-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, very close to it I believe.

Im not really sure.

Does anyone have any C&C?

Last edited:
I'm never really sure about graffiti because on the one hand, it makes a good photo, and you've done a great job with the composition, but on the other hand, it's the artwork of someone else, so it's quite similar to taking a photo of the Mona Lisa and asking for C&C on it.

But I'm not sure, like I said, I really like the composition here with the gravel in the FG and you've done a good job with the PP.

I'm never really sure about graffiti because on the one hand, it makes a good photo, and you've done a great job with the composition, but on the other hand, it's the artwork of someone else, so it's quite similar to taking a photo of the Mona Lisa and asking for C&C on it.

But I'm not sure, like I said, I really like the composition here with the gravel in the FG and you've done a good job with the PP.

I agree with you on all points. Graffiti is just a little different. These artists try to get their name out in every way and taking pictures of their art is just another way of promoting it. Also I think post processing is very important because you put your spin to it and add to what another person already did. But then again where can we draw a line between taking pictures of something already artistic and something we make artisitc. How about architecture or floral garden?

Please don't mistake this for a counter-arguement, Im just thinking outloud.

That's an interesting point. I personally think we can draw the line at architecture because it is much more open to personal expression when you photograph it and for the fact that with a photo you are changing the medium of the art.

I like the fact that you didn't just photograph the graffiti straight on without any other elements in the frame, and I'd say that brings you a long way into making this your own work.

Thanks, that is something I was going for.

A lot of good points brought up here. Glad I opened this thread. I also really like how it's not just a close-up of the graffiti. I think that would definitely make it impossible to critique.

Trying really hard to think outside the box and maybe failing but hear goes: Maybe a shot where the graffiti is unrecognizable. Possibly trying a very dramatic and close up angle, heading close to the realm of abstract? That's one of the only ways I can think off the top of my head that you'd get a shot that's 100% you, not making the artists work the focus.

I think it would be even better if it was a collaborative piece, meaning you took the shot of your friends graffiti.

I really like this shot though, regardless of if it's partially showing someone elses work or not. Cool stuff.

Well, I think in these types ofpictures we can still critique contrast, exposure, white balance, sharpness, composition, etc.....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back