Graffiti Tunnel

JoL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wondering what you feel when you look at this picture?
Pure boredom or just interest or the desire to know what's at the end of the tunnel?
I generally like it but would like to hear some of your comments.

9373918396_d7dbb2b78c_c.jpg

It definitely draws interest however I would have brightened up the exposure just a touch or retrieved some details from the shadows.

I want to see all of the graffiti on the walls when I look at this, I have a thing for graffiti hah. but i really like how this came out

Agree with the above. I think going back with a tripod, and doing this as an HDR with a long enough exposure to get the walls nicely lit while still preserving the highlights of the fluourescent lighting would result in a great image.

Thanks for the comment. I was struggling with the shadows quite a bit actually. I kept them as dark as they are to avoid an artificial HDR-like look. A little bit might have been good though, I agree.

Edit: Wrote this only after CaptainNapalms comment. I'll give it a shot as a HDR and post it in a litte bit.

I like it a lot and agree with the previous comments as well. Im also suprised at how clean the area is for being a graffiti covered tunnel. Thats one of the things that caught my attention first.

Ok, here is a quick try on how far I can/want to push the picture into the HDR look. It's still based on one single shot.
Ignoring the reflections on the right wall which look kind of ugly now, is this more what you guys were thinking of in terms of exposure and shadow recovery?
Higher quality could then be achieved by making a real HDR or at least spending some more minutes on this single picture.

9371352531_f44af7c527_c.jpg

Alright, thanks for the comments! I might give it a try next time.
Might have spent more time there but people started approaching from the end of tunnel after this shot and you don't want to meet people in that tunnel at night, haha.

That second shot changed the picture completely, the colors pop so well and even though its the same picture it looks much different. I was a fan of the dark style of the first one but now that I compare the two Im a much bigger fan of the second. Keep up the good work.

Agree with the above. I think going back with a tripod, and doing this as an HDR with a long enough exposure to get the walls nicely lit while still preserving the highlights of the fluourescent lighting would result in a great image.

Go back at night and light paint it.

Ok, here is a quick try on how far I can/want to push the picture into the HDR look. It's still based on one single shot.
Ignoring the reflections on the right wall which look kind of ugly now, is this more what you guys were thinking of in terms of exposure and shadow recovery?
Higher quality could then be achieved by making a real HDR or at least spending some more minutes on this single picture.

9371352531_f44af7c527_c.jpg

Nice!

Maybe try it at anything other than eye level?

Pretty cool. Looks like stained glass in a church. I'm not crazy about the end of the tunnel part. You could black that out or mute it.

I didn't expect that much feedback and good ideas, thank you guys!
@GaryT: It was shot on a tripod at hip level. What angle would you try to achieve a different effect?
@Mike Lamb: I actually wanted to use the crisp, bright end of the tunnel as an eye catcher or somehow the final goal of your eyes since all the lines lead to it. Perhaps I'll try it your way too and see what the effect will be like. Probably a totally different picture, but interesting in its own way!
@Shipman: The tunnel is in good old Germany at a railway station. Germans keep things clean ;) I think I'll actually clone away the white bright somethings on the floor at the lower right. it distracts my eye too much.
@Ilovemycam: I never tried light painting before, but I can see that this might be an interesting background for it. I also thought about having a person in the frame, going towards or coming from the end of the tunnel. But these things can easily destroy the whole picture by adding too much complexity.

Most reactions

Back