Grafitti

It's vandalism, no matter how one tries to justify the act.

IMG_0381a.jpg

These were tunnels especially allocated for graffiti. I liked the texture and colours which made for good photos in my opinion.

4303095381_6b9fc624e3_o.jpg

4303841572_b9dbbe5170_o.jpg

... your 2 cents about whether this is vandalism or art? P...

Stupid question. There is nothing about being art that precludes it also being vandalism and nothing about vandalism that eliminates any artistic merit. You question is about like asking "is it red or is it a Volkswagen?".

That said, if you don't own the property or don't have explicit permission from the property owner and any and all tenants then it is vandalism, period. It doesn't matter whether the work has any artistic merit or not.

Tagging, per se, it not art. Its purely vandalism. Some graffiti is art, though it is usually also vandalism.

don't have any pics to share... but I think its both! Of course its art to us, we can make it our art by taking a picture of it! lol. And you're right... some of the stuff they draw takes some skill... but of course, its vandalism too... i'd be pissed if someone tagged my property (then i'd probably take a picture of it if it was any good! :mrgreen:)

That's Hamburg, NY on the shore of Lake Erie. It's a tiny section of sand behind a wall.. so it's mostly out of view... and it's a common spot for young alcohol enthusiasts.

I do not agree with the destruction of someones property however certain locations I find it acceptable if it is tasteful or artistic. Not chicken scratch or offensive. However a lot of the stuff you may not understand has street meaning, at times gangs use graffiti to put out hits on people. There was a murder near me and the word for who to kill was passed via graffiti in a porta-potty.

I remember a trip once to Detroit and one of the tall high rise buildings was vacant, in early stages of remodel and someone had (I assume broke in) tagged all the windows. So when workers would turn on the lights it would light up like stained glass. It was truly beautiful. None of the art was gang related or vulgar it was all done by some of the students at the art college. I have a picture somewhere but it requires me to go through four or five dozen discs. LOL.

Stupid question. There is nothing about being art that precludes it also being vandalism and nothing about vandalism that eliminates any artistic merit. You question is about like asking "is it red or is it a Volkswagen?".

Very good point. How about if I ask whether or not you believe the artistic merit outweighs the negative aspect of the vandalism? Is that a better question?
Some lovely shots coming out here, the graffiti tunnel that was posted earlier looks very cool.

Honestly, no matter where it is, if it looks good, it's art. Disrespecting someone's property though is not cool. But if they have permission, I say go for it.

Personally I think it's a matter of what and where.

There's a lot of difference between a tag on the 60s council estate down the road, the same tag on a listed building and the banksy around the corner, if you get the idea.

And, on top of that, some do it for mere vandalism purposes, some as a creative output.

Anyway, talking about the Banksy around the corner, here's it.

I took this while shooting my first film on my first SLR (and first film cameras in years) and is still one of my favourites. I think I owe the subject part of the merit.

3016782890_b76676793e.jpg

hitchin' a ride on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That said, if you don't own the property or don't have explicit permission from the property owner and any and all tenants then it is vandalism, period. It doesn't matter whether the work has any artistic merit or not.

Tagging, per se, it not art. Its purely vandalism. Some graffiti is art, though it is usually also vandalism.

2009-02-12-006.jpg

I agree totally with Dwig.

I used to do graffiti and belong to a forum dedicated to graffiti. You would be surprised at the amount of ethics people have. Many don't write on personal property, only public property. Tagging is very artistic and sometimes harder than it looks. It's about getting your name up and recognized. Some kid spray painting "boobies" on a wall, is not tagging or graffiti. In my opinion, almost none of the graffiti here is good lol

It all depends on intention really, if any thought, time and effort is put forth I truely believe it is a great artform.. Some of this was actually done by a friend of mine:
4400559481_10d9f671f9_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back