Grainy at 400ISO w/ 40D? What?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is a 100% crop of a portrait shot... I noticed that in this shoot, the brown shirts look like they were shot at 1600 or 3200 ISO. However, it was indeed ISO 400. Any ideas on why this would be? This is from a RAW file. The other colors in the picture don't show the grain near as much. Yes, I'm zoomed in quite a bit, cause there are 8 people in this picture. so it's not a huge deal, but why?

carters.jpg

Did you lighten that color in PS?

wow youre fast.

I was gonna say no, but I checked just to be sure.

Then I found the real original image, and it wasn't near as grainy, but it was darker. So, yes... I lightened the color and thats what did it.

I guess I should try to lighten the rest of the photo without the dark colors?

Nice catch!

Ok cool, thanks for the advice. I messed with brightening again, except paid attention so I didn't brighten the brown much. The noise is much less noticeable. Super!

I was having the exact same problem for the past couple of weeks! but in Iso 100 it was that bad. after comparing it to a new camera like mine, I was really worried, come to find out the tech said it looked like a sensor or something was starting to go bad on it. Look for bright red dots when blown up to 100% he said that was the first sign that something might be wrong. Luckily i was able to trade up to a better model.

wow youre fast.

I was gonna say no, but I checked just to be sure.

Then I found the real original image, and it wasn't near as grainy, but it was darker. So, yes... I lightened the color and thats what did it.

I guess I should try to lighten the rest of the photo without the dark colors?

Nice catch!

What can i say, im a ninja! :lol:

Ok cool, thanks for the advice. I messed with brightening again, except paid attention so I didn't brighten the brown much. The noise is much less noticeable. Super!

Your welcome! I was puzzled by that at one point as well...:scratch:

If you try to adjust exposure of your RAW files, it usually adds noise. Sometimes it's feasible to do a levels adjustment with minimal amount of noise that will fix the brightness...sometimes not.

I was surprised to see that much noise from the 40D...but your explanation makes sense.

If you try to adjust exposure of your RAW files, it usually adds noise. Sometimes it's feasible to do a levels adjustment with minimal amount of noise that will fix the brightness...sometimes not.

I was surprised to see that much noise from the 40D...but your explanation makes sense.

yeah the original file didn't have noise much, if at all. The picture was too dark in the first place, so when I adjusted the levels so much, it just had no idea where to pull the colors from!

You can easily shoot at ISO 800 or even 1600 and get cleaner shots that what you are showing us....but you have to nail the exposure. Any adjustments to the 'exposure' or levels etc...will bring out the digital noise.

Also, if you are not doing it already...you should 'expose to the right'.

You can easily shoot at ISO 800 or even 1600 and get cleaner shots that what you are showing us....but you have to nail the exposure. Any adjustments to the 'exposure' or levels etc...will bring out the digital noise.

Also, if you are not doing it already...you should 'expose to the right'.

Haven't heard of that before..makes so much sense. Thanks, BM!

Most reactions

Back