Grand Canyon - How to improve?

gtkelly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a shot I took from the south rim of the Grand Canyon a few weeks ago. How could I improve it?

GrandCanyon775-1.jpg

Some of the rocks in the canyon seem a little washed out to me.
I also think a little less of that bush on the left would have been better.
Just my opinion...

I think the trees being blurred seem a little bit distracting...

Polarizing filter would have been useful...

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm a rank beginner with a new camera, photoshop, and enough knowledge to hurt myself! This is appreciated.

just levels and some saturation in photoshop help it a bit.

GrandCanyon775-1.jpg

In a nutshell:

Light is normally coming at you from all angles. Polarizers only allow light that is in a particular plane through to the film/sensor. This will increase saturation and contrast in both color and b&w shots. Because it is only allowing light from a particular angle/plane through, it cuts down on the noise created by reflections off of atmospheric particles. Simply put, it can help cut through haze.

is it similar to a UV filter, or completely different ball park?

:thumbup: heres the real help, and a different shooting location that doesn't have shrubbery in the picture

I agree here... and really deepen the colors, the reds of the canyon should POP! Polorizing can help, but photoshop can do the same effect.

PS can help with saturation. There is no way to digitally cut through haze. It can only be done with a PL/CPL on the lens.

And to answer your question, CBR, it is a totally different ball park.

I like the composition just fine. I agree a levels or curves adjustment to bring out more color would help. What bothers me most though is the motion blur in the trees. You kept the horizon in the upper third which works but your horizon may be a little unlevel.
Cosmo

Ok - I took what you all gave me and did a second shot. I can't fix the haze because I'm an idiot and left the polarizing filter in the bag. Oh well. This is just levels and a touch of saturation. I split this image at the horizon and did the sky and canyon levels separately. This is a different location without the shrubs as well. I think it's much better. What do you think?

IMG_0826-Edit-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back